Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss it drives me nucking futs in the General forums; You mention range and range alone. How about the musical parts--sound in the midle and lower register, dynamics, good 'ol ...
    Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: it drives me nucking futs

You mention range and range alone. How about the musical parts--sound in the midle and lower register, dynamics, good 'ol basic technique? Do those change too? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but are you by any chance approaching the trumpet like a wanna-be bodybuilder instead of an athelete? You know, those guys that pop into the gym, bench press a while and don't show up for a week because they can't raise their arms above their shoulders for a week.

If we approach the trumpet as a long-term project, adding just a half tone a month to our usable range will make us monster players in under three years. The same is true with other aspects of technique, so slow down, clean your trumpet (and maybe your mouth) out with soap, and try to approach trumpet playing with the disciplined respect it deserves.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Thanks to everyone for feedback. It all makes sense. I kina typed this out fast because i was in a rush. I did talk much about my worry about range, but it's not really my conern because im still in highschool and my band teacher doesn't at all challenge the trumpet section, the highest i ever had to play was a g. ( By the way my playing is just about good again yay =D ) But whne im stuck in a rut, my notes after a e dont sing, either well or at hall. I'll blow any way i can and all i get is air. My tone is still great tho, I have no issue with it what so ever.

Another thing I should mention is the day of my crash. When I started everthing was there, yet as I was tootin away on my horn my playing was getting worse and worse, it's as if I was there watching it die... wierd.

Anyways down to business. (By the way I would like to thank everyone again I don't know where I'd be without TM). So I noticed many talking about my practise sessions ( which I do know suck I just like to play). Can anyone suggest a 20 -minute- a -day practise schedule that will keep me on the right track? 20 minutes doesn't seem like much but with my school in the way sometimes i have 2 hours to play others i have 5 mins. Thank you.

Piano User
    White Marsh, VA

If I had to hazard a guess, it's all about your range, or lack of it. Not to worry though, I truly believe it's in the genetic make up of all trumpet players at one point in their lives (that's right horn players, open up your closets, that skeleton is in there). What most of these accomplished players on this site are telling you is work the basics, the range will come. Range without basics is just gonna be junk. My .02........chuck PS....I agree with Rowuk, try using spell check on your posts, that way your subject lines will be spelled correctly and you'll find you can't post that either.
    "I don't take my music lightly, I want it crushed by the horn section."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information