Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By DaTrump
  • 2 Post By mgcoleman
  • 2 Post By VetPsychWars
  • 4 Post By tobylou8
  • 1 Post By Ed Lee
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Drum Corps, Gloves and Guards....Help Please in the General forums; I joined a drum and bugle corps last year and had a blast. The other trumpet players wore gloves for ...
    Coopersburg, PA

Question Drum Corps, Gloves and Guards....Help Please

I joined a drum and bugle corps last year and had a blast. The other trumpet players wore gloves for our rehearsals outside and kept telling me to wear a pair as well. I instead got a guard for my valve casing since they were concerned with my hands creating marks and what not on the corps horns. I had never used a guard on my own horn and never had any wear marks from my hands (I believe I don't have a high acidic sweat or whatever you call it). I don't want the tan lines from wearing the gloves like the other trumpet players (the tan lines would look very weird when walking in for a job interview (I'm a music teacher still looking for a full time job). I had no wear marks from this past season with the corps horn (I wiped it down after every practice and cleaned it every other week). The section leader told me that the guard doesn't protect the horn because parts of my hands still touch the horn. Any ideas of how to further 'protect' the horn without having to wear gloves for rehearsals outside?
    ♫ "Where words fail, music speaks" ♫

Huntsville, Texas

Re: Drum Corps, Gloves and Guards....Help Please

Just wear gloves part of the way. The glove tan lines don't matter for an interview.
    tobylou8 likes this.
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart

Wear the gloves. I've interviewed hundreds of job seekers in my career and tanning habits are not a factor. If someone were to actually notice and bring it up, I would have my doubts about the job, the work climate and the person conducting the interview.
    Bb cornet: 2012 Getzen 3850 Custom (copper bell)
    Bb trumpets: 1980 Bach Strad 37
    Euphonium: Jupiter Capital Edition 460
    Eastern Iowa Brass Band
    "Practice, not procurement, is the secret." -- me

Fortissimo User
    Greenfield WI

Interviewers like people who have an actual life outside of work. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes

Hey Bob, I think trumpetplayer1989 is perfect for the job! Bill, did you see those tan lines!!!??? Wow, no, I missed that. Phew, good thing you're here. That would have been disastrous! It would have violated our "No tan line" policy! Of course I'm being facetious. Everyone knows there are laws to protect against "tan line discrimination" (TLD) in hiring practices.

It's not your horn. They have asked you to wear the gloves. Valve guards do more damage than good (but they look "cool"). Just wear the gloves.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

I now have a great pair of white gloves that I always wear when sounding Taps, whether such be with U.S. Regulation bugle or Bb trumpet. Matches the solemn decorem of the funeral. Pall bearers often wear them also and some of theirs are disposable (into the grave).
    tobylou8 likes this.

Pianissimo User jazzmetalrocknroll's Avatar
    Rhode Island

Ive seen some videos with guys in the cavaliers that wear their gloves folded up their hands half way up their hand
    Besson Kanstul International Series Bb
    Portsmouth High School Symphonic Band
    Portsmouth High School Marching 180

Thread Information