Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Ear Training/ Sight Singing. in the General forums; Perhaps if your vocal cords don't emit a sound that is pleasant, perhaps you can whistle, which although I can ...
    Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Re: Ear Training/ Sight Singing.

Perhaps if your vocal cords don't emit a sound that is pleasant, perhaps you can whistle, which although I can still sing (so,so ... at least our church choir still wants me) I've found whistling or humming serves much the same purpose(s), albeit I need a YSB mute for my whistling when my wife is near. The one advantage I've found with whistling is that I own a double hi-C and higher ... well, maybe it's not an advantage, but cabs in NYC and DC have responded to my natural whistle albeit I've an Acme Thunderer on my key chain that they respond to also.
    turtlejimmy likes this.

New Friend

Also try "sight singing" on the mouthpiece alone. This helps your sense pitch AND control of the instrument/intonation.

It sounds like you have a great teacher. In fact, when I started with my current teacher this past spring, he told me the identical thing. At the time, he said that all of my confidence comes from physically being able to play the horn and "not" being musical, i.e., knowing rhythm and timing, sight-reading, hearning the music in my head "before" playing it. We are in the process of reversing that situation. Now, like you, I spend "significant" time off horn practicing my timing (getting an internal beat), rhythms, and sight-singing pieces before I play them. Every day I do this with my morning coffee, so it is my priority.

Most of my lessons are music theory and sight-reading. When something physical comes up, we adress it within the context of a musical piece or etude. My teacher contends (and I have seen this many times to be true) that there some things that we can only do musically. If we attempted the same thing within the context of an exercise, we can not do it. If we play using our musical mind, the brain will automatically tell the body what it needs to do to accomplish very difficult things, quite easily. The more I practice and take lessons, the more I am learning that the trumpet is a mind-thing.

It does not he hasn't corrected my mechanics. For example, I was stuck on Bb above the staff with harmonic slurs. A simple suggestion on how to perform and use a tongue has me controlling the partials all the way up to high D. A great teacher is worth his/her weight in gold. I can not imagine trying to learn to play without him.

There is so much good in the worst of us,
    And so much bad in the best of us,
    That it hardly behooves any of us
    To talk about the rest of us.

Edward Wallis Hoch, Marion (Kansas) Record
    (1849 - 1925)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information