Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Easter Gigs... in the General forums; I should have really played for an easter mass at my church, but I didn't. The trumpeters we had were ...
    Pianissimo User
    Lansing, MI

Re: Easter Gigs...

I should have really played for an easter mass at my church, but I didn't.

The trumpeters we had were BAD, I am not saying this because I am mad that I didn't play, they were bad.

Even my parents noticed, my dad said, "those trumpet players sounded like they were having trouble." I swear one of the most of had thier tuning slide pushed in all the way, and one kept going for high notes and missing, and at one time the trumpets and the choir were going at completely different speeds. I just don't think they had practiced together, the unprepared singers and musicians really took away from the service, I am serious this was really shocking, I could tell people were thinking, "what the heck".

I wish I would've gone to the Easter Vigil they always have proffesional musicians at that service.
    "Oy with the poodles already!"-Loreli Gilmore, Gilmore Girls

Bach Stradivarius Bb 43
    Bach 5C

Forte User

two services today - the hymns are the most taxing for me, not like big band, no breaks. oh well next Sunday will be worse - two services and then spend at least 1 1/2 hr. playing out of the lead book for a Pacers game. I thought life slowed down when you got older. Dave
    formerly known as old geezer Dave
    Chicago Benge 33XX
    Blessing 1580 [ Powell modified ]
    Getzen 800s ml Cornet P02819
    Yam. 231 Fl. 15383
    King Master Cornet 295628
    assorted other horns

I only had one Easter gig. I played the Torelli Sinfonia in D (G8) and various pieces throughout the mass. We conluded with the Hallelujua chorus. There were members of the Eugene Symphony playing and I read the 1st part. It was a real treat. I did play Man of La Mancha all weekend for a warm-up.

The trumpet sounded! The Messiah on my D-trumpet, the long natural one without valves....
    We had a great bass, so I didn't have to hold back too much. The orchestra was good, they tuned to A=442 instead of the historical 415. I almost forgot the modern tuning crook.
    We celebrate easter Monday here too. I will be playing a Bach Cantata (BWV66) but on the piccolo - too much work on the nat and too little time to prepare. That will be a bear though because the conductor explains the composition and we have to play the important passages individually. So it is a rehearsal, the explanation and then the piece. We do the opening chorus as the closing. Great orchestra and conductor.He always has great soloists . It will be a gas!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Utimate User

I had, as described in another thread, a quartet and organ ensemble that backed up an excellent chorus. There were several members of the Minnesota Chorale in this church's choir. The quartet was made up of the MO 1st trbn, bass trbn, Doug Carlsen and myself. And the organ was in tune! And we had a conductor that took all the stress out of the gig, I'm happy to say. He's a guy who actually used to conduct the MO in certain concerts years ago. Two services.

We played a lot! It was fun since I don't generally free lance much. And I rarely get to play with Doug as my second and as his second. We traded one tune to give me a break. Naturally, we ended with the Widor Toccata... what a war horse. The organist played it alone as an "encore" to all the music in the service. No "Trumpet Shall Sound" this time around, just the Hallelujah Chorus. We just did it on the Cs since yours truly is too lazy to schlep more than one horn to a gig!

Last edited by Manny Laureano; 04-08-2007 at 07:58 PM.

Pianissimo User
    Salisbury, MD

Three services - 8:00. 9:30, & 11:00. 6 brass quartet preludes to each service including Purcell, Marcello, Nelhybel, Bach, and more. Then, the usual hymns (Christ The Lord Is Risen Today, Crown Him With Many Crowns) an offeratory anthem and the Hallelujah Chorus. Oh yea, and the organist asked if I would would play a postlude at each service, so I took it easy and played the Fischer Trumpet Tune.

This is the same church that asked me to play a few fanfares for a patriotic service last year. Then, when I got there, asked if I minded accompaning a guest vocalist on Trumpets Shall Sound. No rehearsal. No music. I did it and then complained a LOT about it. It was ok, just not something that I wouldn't want to be remembered for.

Today's performances went very well. I got rave reviews for my picc playing on my new Monette AP4L mouthpiece.

I think I'll go practice for a while just to get some blood moving in my lip again.

Mechanicsburg, PA

So, battle scar story...

First time I played for this church... well, during the end of the 2nd service this morning, first valve on my picc got stuck and wouldn't move halfway through the first page on Hallelujah Chorus! Ugh, i was sitting there forcing it up and down before it finally began to move freely at the bottom of the first page. Got lucky there, or i would've had to turn around and shove that mouthpiece in the C trumpet and pray for the best! Good thing i can count and i knew right where i was the whole time. He even asked me to come back next year!
    Blow your life through your horn

Teaneck, NJ

My first Easter gig in a couple of years. Just one service, with another trumpeter, ( a freshman at Manhattan School who sounded great).
    Some hymms, the Haugen? Gloria, a quick Carke Voluntary prelude, (on which i faked a second part) and home for Passover preparations.
    A full

Yamaha 8310Z
    Dillon Flugelhorn
    Getzen 850 Cornet
    Yamaha Picc
    Yamaha Xeno C 8445
    Bach Corp. 3C, Curry 3F, Curry 3DC. (cornet), Stork 5P

Palos Park, IL

I played Vigil, 8:00 & 9:30 masses on trumpet, 11:00 on guitar, and crashed out on the last service. The trumpet parts went very well for not having played in awhile, so well that I'm becoming encouraged to pick up trumpet again on a full time basis. The "contemporary mass" is the one I have big issues with, but we all have complaints veered at something.
    Bach 180LR, 72 bell
    Bach 1-1/2C
    Bach 3D

Pianissimo User Principaltrumpet's Avatar
    north texas

I played a gig at 9 this morning. First on the program was John Rutters "Gloria" I was playing second and some how the guy playing first forgot his horns at home...He is a trumpet prof at a school about an hour north of where I live, so I ended up sight reading the first mvt of the piece until he showed up. I am still trying to figure out how someone can leave home to play somewhere and get 45 min down the road b4 they realize they forgot their instrument....I guess it happens though.
    Yamaha "Chicago" C
    Yamaha "New York" Bb
    Blessing Eb/D
    Yamaha 6810S Picc
    Bach 2C

Joshua C. Ritchie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information