Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Edwards Gen III. Comments? in the General forums; Hey Michael, Dude, the brainwashing down there is starting to show... Relax man, take a joke. Just a little jabbing ...
    New Friend
    Hey Michael,

Dude, the brainwashing down there is starting to show...

Relax man, take a joke. Just a little jabbing between two trumpet players. I was mistaken in my thinking, I thought I had added the take of "from guys who have played them" to my original post. Sorry man. That's why the comment. Now the rest of it...ok...that's a little fun at A&M's expense. Like I said, thought I had specified the playing part. Just relax. Let's just all get along....tear.....

Oh yeah, there isn't a rivalry between Tech and EaTmE because I seem to remember that we've beat the fool out of you the last several times we played.....LOL. JUST A JOKE....DON'T FREAK OUT!

As always...Texas Tech...the "classless clowns"!
    Josh

Jupiter XO 1602S-R
    '65 Bach Strad 37*

Mouthpieces - Giddings and Webster David Hickman Signature
    Bob Reeves 42S

Piano User

Gen III

Hey Guys, This is my first quote on these boards....

I've been trying out the Edwards horns for the past few years at TMEA, and they are getting better every year. I loved the Gen III. I think it would make a great all-around horn.... I just don't have $3000 to drop on a horn.

I'll lay off the Aggie jokes.....for now
    Jonathan Wright

Piano User
    As far as I can tell, the comparison should be made between the Gen III and the Gen X, not Gen II. Looks like the Gen III is designed as a horn to bridge the gap between the two models, for those who want the adjustable characteristics of the Gen X, but without the extra weight and gaudyness. Another option, would be the Getzen 3003 Custom, which features the interchangeable leadpipe, but has a fixed bell.

Getzen 3003 - Price not published (only in .464 bore, gold plate)
    Edwards Gen III - $3000 (.459 or .462 bore, silver plate)
    Edwards Gen X - $3500 (.462 bore, gold plate)

My money would go for the .459 Gen III.
    --Matt--

Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScreaminTrumpet
    As always...Texas Tech...the "classless clowns"!
    Trust me, I didn't freak out....and that statement is perhaps the truest thing I've ever heard, but don't freak out.
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

New Friend
    I like the flexibility that the Edwards horns give you. Trombone players have been able to play "lego" horns for years. I think that it's great that we are finally getting the opportunity.
    Josh

Jupiter XO 1602S-R
    '65 Bach Strad 37*

Bob Reeves 42S

Quote Originally Posted by ScreaminTrumpet
    I like the flexibility that the Edwards horns give you. Trombone players have been able to play "lego" horns for years. I think that it's great that we are finally getting the opportunity.
    The opportunity comes with a fairly good price tag. But you are right, the customizable horn has been in the trombone world for awhile now -- and now the trumpets will have similar features.

I think the price point has been (and maybe still is) holding this concept back. There are some great trumpets that can be purchased for a lot less. But $3000 is (I cannot believe I am going to say this) getting reasonable for a custom horn.

But with the line I sell, you can buy an Olympus and a Guarnerius C trumpet for $2500 and pocket the change. The price point is still a little touchy.

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

New Friend
    You're right!

As much as I liked the Gen. III at TMEA $3000 is still a pretty significant chunk of change. Were I to ever buy anything in this range...ESPECIALLY with all of the options on these horns with leadpipes and such, I would have to make a trip to the plant. I wouldn't want to order the horn and find out that the configuration I picked out of the catalog is not optimal. Looks, and advertising, can be decieving.
    Josh

Jupiter XO 1602S-R
    '65 Bach Strad 37*

Bob Reeves 42S

Piano User
    Ok, so it has been determined that the Gen III is a good horn...(It'd better be for the price...lol) Here's the question. If you are a teacher, and not a professional palyer, is it really a good idea to drop 3 grand on a horn? Not really. However, It probably won't be long till edwards comes out with a more affordable "good" horn. Until then, I'm gonna stick with my strad that was passed down to me. Like I said before, Edwards has made much improvement over the last few years, I can't wait to see what's next.
    Jonathan Wright

New Friend
    Hey John,

we've had this conversation. You need your really nice horn....lots of money (or not), tweaked, etc....and then you need your POS, beater horn for school!

He He....you know, something that when you get pissed of during rehearsal or practice time you can pick the beater up and throw IT across the room. Yeah, a beater horn is what we all need.

BTW ,,I,. (hold your hand up to figure this out...) 8)
    Josh

Jupiter XO 1602S-R
    '65 Bach Strad 37*

Bob Reeves 42S

Piano User
    actually the Getzen is cheap compared to it's cousin, the Monette. 8)
    1946 Martin Committee, Bach 5V

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information