Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Edwards Gen III. Comments? in the General forums; Hey guys, I've been lingering in the shadows for a while and haven't really posted. I have enjoyed simply reading ...
    New Friend

Edwards Gen III. Comments?

Hey guys, I've been lingering in the shadows for a while and haven't really posted. I have enjoyed simply reading and laughing at some of the stuff on this site....

Anyway...

Recently, I had the opportunity to play one of the new Generation III trumpets. I was impressed. I think it's a very good mix of the II and the X. I was just curious as to what some of the rest of you guys thought.

Thanks...Happy Screamin'!
    Josh

Jupiter XO 1602S-R
    '65 Bach Strad 37*

Mouthpieces - Giddings and Webster David Hickman Signature
    Bob Reeves 42S

Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar
    Is this an "Edwards" or a Getzen? Know Edwards makes the Gen II and the X, and that Getzen took the X and turned it into the Genesis...
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

Forte User

Re: Edwards Gen III. Comments?

Quote Originally Posted by ScreaminTrumpet
    Hey guys, I've been lingering in the shadows for a while and haven't really posted. I have enjoyed simply reading and laughing at some of the stuff on this site....

It is an Edwards horn:

http://www.edwards-instruments.com/trumpet/gen3/

The early comments about this horn have been very good. In the trombone world, Edwards makes one of the very best custom trombones (along with Shires, Rath, Thein, etc.). It took a little longer for the trumpets to come around. But there is considerable interest in the Gen III.

The Generation III Bb and C Trumpets offer an integral leadpipe system which allows a player to change leadpipes efficiently. This design creates improved stability throughout the harmonic series compared to non-modular trumpets. Five leadpipes are available.

This has been an innovation on bones for quite sometime, interchangeable leadpipes. Different playing requirements may require a different leadpipe. That along with different mouthpieces gives a player ultimate flexibility and choice. The price tag of $3000 is not outrageous for what it is I guess.

By the way, Steve Shires (Shires makes an elite custom trombone too) announced that he is working on a custom trumpet. For the longest time, trumpet makers moved into the trombone market (Bach, Getzen, Benge, Kanstul, -- even Callet made a jazz trombone). Now some of the elite trombone makers are making trumpets. Isn't the brass world just grand!

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Well, from what I saw, the only diff is that the Gen III is a Gen II with the rounded tuning slide and an extra 800 bux. For that price, I could easily get a gold plated Gen II.
    Michael Smith
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

New Friend
    But have you PLAYED one bigaggie?

It seems to me after reading many posts that you almost always respond with a comment that doesn't add much to the discussion....

A castrated dog might look female from behind...but when you roll it over and get pissed on you'll know it's not....

I'm not trying to get you all riled up. I'm just making a point from my view. I am wanting to know other people's view of the horn after either researching or playing it.

Thanks bro, no hard feelings.
    Josh

Jupiter XO 1602S-R
    '65 Bach Strad 37*

Bob Reeves 42S

Quote Originally Posted by bigaggietrumpet
    Well, from what I saw, the only diff is that the Gen III is a Gen II with the rounded tuning slide and an extra 800 bux. For that price, I could easily get a gold plated Gen II.
    I do not think the Gen II has the refinements of the Gen III, especially in the leadpipes. It sounds like it has several refinements (tuning slide included). Is that worth $800. Maybe, maybe not.

If you lived near the Edwards factory, you could go play them (or maybe at one of the conferences) and find out if it is $800 well spent or not.

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox

Hmmm ....

Screamin is from Lubbock
    BigAggie is from College Station

No rivalry here is there?

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox

New Friend
    Good Call Jim,

How many Aggies does it take to make a sheep uncomfortable....

Just kidding guys. I have the utmost respect for the A&M band. They do what they do VERY well. But I do have to say that the Goin' Band From Raiderland can hold their own with ANYONE!!! Go Texas Tech!!! Ah, the good old days... Although it wasn't that long ago...I miss it!
    Josh

Jupiter XO 1602S-R
    '65 Bach Strad 37*

Bob Reeves 42S

Quote Originally Posted by ScreaminTrumpet
    But have you PLAYED one bigaggie?

It seems to me after reading many posts that you almost always respond with a comment that doesn't add much to the discussion....

A castrated dog might look female from behind...but when you roll it over and get pissed on you'll know it's not....

I'm not trying to get you all riled up. I'm just making a point from my view. I am wanting to know other people's view of the horn after either researching or playing it.

Thanks bro, no hard feelings.
    NO HARD FEELINGS?! WHAT THE HECK?!

Look, you asked for opinions, and you got mine. No I haven't played one, because I'm a poor college bum barely keepin' his head above water. I don't add to the conversation? What do you call that up there? Brilliance? Hardly; no all that was simply trying to start something. This is a FORUM, a person can make more than one statement on a topic. I give my opinions, you give yours. So far, you're the only person who has complained about my "not adding to the conversation".

Oh, and M&C, no, there is no rivalry between A&M and Tech, it's just A&M and t.u. (UT for those who aren't Ags)

Edit: and we've never lost a halftime, either.
    Michael Smith
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information