Trumpet Discussion Discuss Effect on sound of Sterling silver? in the General forums; Hi All, With the sterling King Silversonics oe Super 20's with ss leadpipes and Bach sterling bells how would you ...
    Piano User
    Swift Current, Sask. Canada

Effect on sound of Sterling silver?

Hi All,

With the sterling King Silversonics oe Super 20's with ss leadpipes and Bach sterling bells how would you characterize the effect of the metal in the instrument compared to yellow or gold brass. Warmer, denser core, brighter?

"Swift Current - where we're neither swift nor current"

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Effect on sound of Sterling silver?

The sterling silver seems to take louder dynamics better without "breaking up" so it won't get that "overblown" sound when really cranking.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Gig Harbor Wa.

Depends on the instrument and design....for example, I have an old Selmer horn with a Sterling Bell from the mid 50's that my Dean of music picked up from the factory while on vacation in France.

This individual horn has a very small bore...and an extremely tightly tapered leadpipe. This horn plays with a very bright but rather thin sound that doesn't project well...but sounds really quite musical and regal---BUT DOESN'T LIKE BEING PUSHED. The rather small dia. bell doesn't project well...and the voicing has a rather harsh brittle edge to the sound when overblown. That Sterling bell on this horn is unusually thin guage and even the slightest pressure will leave a ripple mark. Also over the years...has picked up sooooooo many little dings and nurdies'.
    That is the downside but this same old Selmer plays so sweetly and ever so friendly....and you can play this horn to a whisper with such beautiful resonance and sweetness in clarity.
    The design of this horn (without that weird little tapered lead pipe and Sterling bell) soon found its way into the States as the DeVille student horn. Actually one of the first line of instruments to finally be mass imported into the states.

I am not sure that a Selmer, King or a Bach have the tolerances that would make a comparison fair. I think the minute differences in taper and thickness of the material CAN make as much difference as the material itself. Leigh at Eclipse could probably tell us more!
    I have played several Bachs with sterling leadpipes and I also got the impression that you could play louder. They were not the same taper as the original however.........
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

San Antonio, TX

FWIW, Schilke describes its SS bells as really increasing the overtones and the efficiency in sound production, as opposed to their brass bells.
    Doug Walsdorf
    Schilke B2
    Kanstul 1525
    1927 Conn 22B New York Symphony
    "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."

Thread Information