Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Vulgano Brother
  • 1 Post By rowuk
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Effort for higher notes in the General forums; I've been playing for about a year and a half now. I work lip trills every practice session and I've ...

Effort for higher notes

I've been playing for about a year and a half now. I work lip trills every practice session and I've definitely noticed how notes like 2nd line G and 3rd space C have become much more effortless. As long as my corners are tight, embouchure firm, I can play with very little strain. But it seems like there's a difference between everything 3rd space C and below, and everything above, especially D to say A etc.

My question is, should I ever expect notes in that range to become effortless? Or do even pros have to add extra strain, that's just the nature of the beast so to speak, to get into that range?
    bah do dweeeee bah do bleep blop

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Effort for higher notes

Whether you believe in evolution or intelligent design, man's nature is to sit on the couch and watch sports, movies with car chases and explosions or re-runs with Jennifer Aniston on TV. A woman's nature is to cook, clean, jabber, and complain about the amount of time we spend on the couch. (Tee-hee!)

Playing trumpet is not natural to us. That is why we practice until it becomes "second nature." I think Gerald Webster's phrase: "a relaxed but working body" is a better description than "strain" or "effort" while playing. We put in the time and effort, and strain to achieve that point where we can relax and work at the same time. Sort of like sitting on the sofa, watching TV!
    stumac likes this.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Re: Effort for higher notes

When I have a dance band gig (competition dancing), I burn off 1.5 KG in the course of the evening - in spite of eating and drinking. Trumpet playing IS work and our bodies get trained to do it in an efficient manner.

Playing is a LEARNING process and PRACTICING is only a tool to help us learn. Getting better means integrating all of the factors in body and spirit. That is why some things simply take time: learning to coordinate breath and chops, learning to coordinate notes on the page with musical expression, learning to play with less pressure, learning to process what we hear to control what we do next,..................... It is so much more than a series of "doing things right". Playing needs just about everything that our bodies and souls can provide in varying combinations. The hardest thing to learn is patience. That is why so many players stay mediocre.
    Darrien likes this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information