Trumpet Discussion Discuss El Doctor in the General forums; Hey all, Just played our weekender gig with Doc. He always leaves me wanting to write a little something because ...
    Utimate User

El Doctor

Hey all,

Just played our weekender gig with Doc. He always leaves me wanting to write a little something because being with him on stage and behind the scenes is always... well, the word in Spanish is "impresionante" and I haven't found an English equivalent.

Besides being a wonderfully expressive musician, I'm always struck by the respect he always shows us who work with him. He seems to have such a great regard for classical players. Then he gets up and does what he does and we're left agog at the sheer excitement with which he does everything.

From getting a laugh from the paying public, to a sincere dedication to his wife, Emily, to conducting an operatic excerpt like "Va Pensiero" from Nabucco by Verdi, he never fails to inspire us to want to play like him: freely, with love for whatever he's playing at the moment. I'm not kidding. If you have had the experience of working with him, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, it's my sincere wish that one day soon, you do.

Maynard, Maurice Andre... they're cut from the same cloth as Doc. These are humble men who get into what they do and are infectious in how they inspire us to do our jobs better. I think they make the world a better place, how do you like that. I really do. I will sleep well tonight knowing I helped him entertain any number of people that may have come to tonight's concert careworn about something. I can guarantee they didn't think about whatever was fretting them for the two hours they spent with our man Doc. What a gift these great artists are to us.

Palos Park, IL
    Doc is truly inspirational as a professional player, not only in his playing but in his conduct also, as you are also Manny! I've had the opportunity to meet Doc twice backstage through a former acquantience who's one of Doc's best friends in Chicago, and both times he was nothing but tolerant even of my brother's childish bully-antics against me (hey, I was 12 at the time) while backstage. He truly is not only a great player but a great guy, and I'm blessed to have met him.
    Bach 180LR, 72 bell
    Bach 1-1/2C
    Bach 3D

Thread Information