Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By trickg
  • 1 Post By Vulgano Brother
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Embouchure Change - Building Range in the General forums; Hi, I have been working on changing my embouchure for the last 6 weeks with guidance from a private teacher. ...
    Pianissimo User

Angry Embouchure Change - Building Range

I have been working on changing my embouchure for the last 6 weeks with guidance from a private teacher.

I have gone from a very off center placement with very little top lip to a center placement. It feels very comfortable and although I have been making progress with developing tone and my lower register, I have seen very little improvement in my upper register since I started - I can't get past an E on the top space of the stave and even then I'm using too much pressure. I have been working on all the fundamentals - lots of long tones (in my comfortable register), lip slurs and scales.

Can anyone give me any guidance on whether this is completely normal or suggest any further exercises I can do to see an improvement? I have been working hard every single day and it's beginning to get frustrating to have not seen an improvement.

Thank you.
    Yamaha Xeno 8335

Re: Embouchure Change - Building Range

I know a guy who at one point decided upon embarking on an embouchure change. According to what he told me, he was a typical player who had range to 2nd ledger C/D. From what he told me, this process took him almost a full year, and it initially resulted in a total breakdown of his chops and ability to play. By the time I met him, he could pick off a double C on a bugle with a 1.5C mouthpiece. I'd say to give it time to let the process work. At this point you are completely retraining your embouchure to work differently and to vibrate in a place where it never really did before, and that takes time. It doesn't surprise me at all to hear that at 6 weeks in you are still struggling with range.

Here's a current vid of my friend - he has absolutely no limitations where range and endurance are concerned.

J. Jericho likes this.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Lagos, Nigeria

It sounds like you're in the same place I was about 20 months ago.

What has your private tutor advised you to work on? Six weeks is really very little time to gauge progress so far.
    Bb Trumpets: Yamaha YTR-6335HSII - Flip Oakes "Wild Thing" - 1972 Getzen Eterna "Severinsen" - 1980 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign Studio - B&S 3005 WTR-L - 1963 Besson 10-10 - Monke Mystery Horn - Spiri Vario
    C Trumpet: Inderbinen Alpha 200
    Bb Bass: 1961 Holton #58 "Symphony"

Wyrd oft nereš unfågne eorl, žonne his ellen dėah.

"Pypes, trompes, nakers, clariounes, that in bataille blowen blody sounes"

Bath, UK

It does take a long time to build embouchure strength, especially after a change in playing position, or so I found. One thing that helped me was remembering to have easy days and hard days. I still do that - I'll have days where I do a lot of heavy work, and then just take it easy the next day, keeping a good sound. The day after, I almost always get a semitone higher than usual, with less effort than before.

I (used to) run half-marathons, and in training I was advised to vary my routine, doing days of sprints, and other days of long distance. Eventually I would vary the speed of sections of the long distance, so that my body never got stuck into one way of running only. This was helpful when the half-marathon had any major hills up or down. What I found was the same - days after I had done a lot of work, my muscles were tired, and I needed to take it easy, to let them recuperate. If (and when) I let them rest by having an easy day, the day after that was much easier! I'd be fresher, faster, and fitter.

I hope you find your own solution.
    1992 Bach Strad Large Bore 25 Silver
    1976 LA Benge 5x Silver
    1920s?? Langen?? Rotary Bb Raw brass
    1977 Olds Super Star Flugelhorn Raw brass
    1985 Mario Corso Piccolo Trumpet A/Bb, 4 bells
    2008 Kuhnl & Hoyer Tenor Trombone

Kanstul M-B4
    Kanstul M-B4LD
    Christian Lindberg 10C

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

When I moved my mouthpiece down to center, it took about 6 months for things to normalize--well, actually better than the previous normal. It is a process, and it does take time.
    trickg likes this.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Thread Information