Trumpet Discussion Discuss Embouchure doesn't feel... right >.< in the General forums; Ok so for that haven't read my other thread, I got my braces off not too long ago. Currently I've ...
    New Friend

Embouchure doesn't feel... right >.<

Ok so for that haven't read my other thread, I got my braces off not too long ago.
    Currently I've been practicing what others have advised me to do but something is just bothering oh so much.
    When slurring a low C up to the C in the staff it feels fine but when i get to the D it feels as if my top lip has to overlap over the bottom lip a little to get it out. I followed this video:
    I don't know if my top lip is supposed to overlap the bottom but according to the video its not supposed to. Also it doesn't feel right.
    I have an overbite if it helps.

Banned Fortissimo User
    Florida, US

Re: Embouchure doesn't feel... right >.<

If you have overbite then they took off the braces to early, you should have had rubber bands to correct that.
    I would just blow a little harder to get the D, as for your lips just try and fix it your self. It is a bad habit to get into and hard to get out.

New York State USA

OK -- I always go with my advice that corrects a multitude of problems. SOFT long tones in the staff -- like 2nd line G, then the A, etc. -- hold as long as you can, take a breath and repeat. Try to feel your lips vibrate.. don't push, don't tense. this will help you feel the position of the lips, and after many days and weeks will help build endurance. I also have had a similiar problem with octave slurs -- but you need to do the slurs very softly ppp --- if you can do them soft then you can use a bit more air to make them louder ----- if you can't do them softly, then your lips need to be strengthened a bit!!!!!!! in my opinion that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH and be patient -- somedays problems won't be corrected overnight --- getting FRUSTRATED will defeat you everytime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Gainesville, FL

The video provided is by a fine player, and that method works. However, I don't believe that ALL trumpet players create an embouchure in that method, nor that it is the only correct way. I won't get more into it, because I don't have the experience necessary, and online is not the best way to convey such information.

I will just clarify to CodyB -- after braces you will still have a slight overbite (the top teeth still overlap the bottom teeth when you bite). But again, it is very slight.

Are you sure you're using air and not forcing? Sometimes a player will try to compensate by using the lips differently.
    Last edited by Mark_Kindy; 11-27-2011 at 02:51 PM.
    Mark Kindy - University of Florida
    Life is like a trumpet - if you don't put anything into it, you don't get anything out of it. --
    William Christopher Handy
    Edwards Gen II - Bach 3C, Asymmetric Lead/Schlike 13a4a Heavyweight

Slurs, slurs and more slurs. Braces rearrange the geometry of the face in a serious way. Some are affected and they simply have to invest in a lot of soft playing of easy tunes in the staff, long tones, lipslurs and scales. I would NOT mess with your embouchure. These things tend to go away after a while once the muscles get used to the new geometry. Make sure that you are getting that big relaxed breath - even when playing softly!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information