Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By VetPsychWars
  • 1 Post By mrsemman
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Embouchure help? in the General forums; Is it normal to curl in the bottom lip and move the mouthpiece down (putting the lips higher up) a ...
    New Friend
    United States

Embouchure help?

Is it normal to curl in the bottom lip and move the mouthpiece down (putting the lips higher up) a tiny bit to play higher notes? While practicing I like to look in the mirror and I look very strange a lot of times while I play higher notes, my bottom lip is pretty much gone. Would you suggest attempting to change my embouchure to fix this, if it's a problem?

Mezzo Forte User
    Los Angeles

Re: Embouchure help?

To me it was, but to someone else, that may be the ticket. Generally speaking I don't like to have my chops move much from register to register and mirrors just distract me. Daily battle of sorts.

Fortissimo User
    Greenfield WI

Why are you looking in a mirror?

Most trumpet players, even if they deny it, play with the upper lip over the bottom a hair or more.

It's not a problem. Go spend some more time with your teacher and see what she says.

tobylou8 likes this.

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes

Regardless of whether you are taking lessons from a qualified teacher or not, what I believe you are describing is blowing "downstream" in the upper register. I find myself doing this sometimes, but I have been working on using the tongue arch and thinking "EEEE" or "AAWWW" which makes the tongue arch up and down for the pitch of a note.

To answer your question, it does not matter what I or any one else does, it only matters that you have a comfortable embouchure; you can hit the notes correctly; and that you have the endurance to perform. have a picture on my desktop, that was taken last Christmas when our band played at a local church; and depicts the four trumpet players in the section. Each one has a mouthpiece set differently. Two of the trumpet players are professionals, and they both had different embouchures.

Hope this helps.

tobylou8 likes this.
    Flip Oakes Wild Thing
    Selmer Paris Piccolo Trumpet
    Eastman C Trumpet
    Zeus Guarnerius Flugel Horn
    Jin Boa Bass Trumpet
    Kanstul G Bugle

If it works and it's not hurting your chops from too much pressure I wouldn't be too concerned. If you have an overbite you'll tend to go that way anyway.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Thread Information