Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Vulgano Brother
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Embouchure Help! in the General forums; I started an embouchure change recently (few weeks ago) and I'm seeing development but my tone, but I'm not sure ...
    New Friend

Question Embouchure Help!

I started an embouchure change recently (few weeks ago) and I'm seeing development but my tone, but I'm not sure why. I remember my band director once mentioned something about the sound being subject to which part of the lips we're vibrating. I asked my teacher how to improve upon my tone and he told me i have to find out how to produce that nice sound, as if i was doing something wrong and my embouchure was already developed. (I've been playing 7 years now) I would really like to figure out what exactly makes a "good tone" so i can hammer out whatever needs to be done and get back to really enjoying that beautiful trumpet sound. Thanks

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Embouchure Help!

Welcome to TM, barnaby jones! Yours is a really tough question to answer without hearing and watching you play. At most we can offer general stuff: good use of air, the lips together, corners firm are all universal to a good embouchure. A good way to improve our sound is to listen to good (and great!) players and try to emulate that sound. (For example:

Your best help would to have some private lessons from a good teacher.

Have fun!
    tobylou8 and barliman2001 like this.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

There is no "intellectual" approach to playing. The tone that we produce is a combination of things: storage of "energy" covered by our breathing, the control of pouring that energy through the lips into the horn, registering the sound with our ears and then letting the brain tell the lips what to do.

I teach a lot of students in exactly the position that you are in - played for a while, had what they had by "accident" or by "luck" and a desire to get it under control.

I don't know who recommended the embouchure change or why, but that is generally the WORST place to start. My experience is that when we focus on body and breathing first, the embouchure usually regulates itself when we overdose on longtones and lipslurs. Far less babysitting is necessary and the path is much less frustrating.

You need to get the basics down, the rest then will line up and the following steps become easy to identify and implement.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New York State USA

wow - is that your real name or do you have some affinity to the American television series ("Barnaby Jones" that aired in the 70's??

embouchure changes take work, and time, and patience with yourself during the process ----- check with your teacher and see if both of you are up to this task
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Provo, UT

To the OP -
    I have gone through the exact same thing you are going through. In 11th grade I did an embouchure change. It was the best thing ever for my trumpet playing. The teacher that helped me through it had decades of experience, so he was able to help me overcome some of the initial challenges. I would not worry too much at the moment about your sound not being where you want it to be. It has to grow and develop. I remember, very well, a specific instance when I was playing in a brass ensemble and I though to myself "Oh, that sound coming out of my bell actually sounds quite nice." Until then, I don't really think I had a very good sound. Just keep going and doing what your teacher has prescribed and don't worry about the process -- focus on the RESULTS!
    'My advice is to never do tomorrow what you can do today. Procrastination is the thief of time.'
    - Charles Dickens

Thread Information