Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By gmonady
  • 1 Post By Harky
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Embouchure help needed! in the General forums; I noticed that every time I take a breath my embouchure gets destroyed. I've managed to "fix" it by setting ...
    New Friend

Embouchure help needed!

I noticed that every time I take a breath my embouchure gets destroyed. I've managed to "fix" it by setting the embouchure and applying some mouthpiece pressure to keep it in place and then take a breath through the corners.

Is this solution acceptable or is it just a quick fix that will bring problems in the future?

Thanks in advanced!

Lagos, Nigeria

Re: Embouchure help needed!

Bb Trumpets: Yamaha YTR-6335HSII - Flip Oakes "Wild Thing" - 1972 Getzen Eterna "Severinsen" - 1980 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign Studio - B&S 3005 WTR-L - 1963 Besson 10-10 - Monke Mystery Horn - Spiri Vario
    C Trumpet: Inderbinen Alpha 200
    Bb Bass: 1961 Holton #58 "Symphony"

Wyrd oft nereš unfågne eorl, žonne his ellen dėah.

"Pypes, trompes, nakers, clariounes, that in bataille blowen blody sounes"

Forte User
    Flinders Vic Australia

Try breathing through your nose, see Carmine Caruso "Musical Calesthenics for Brass".

Regards, Stuart.

Piano User

Sometimes you need to take a breath big enough to expand the rib cage in a short amount of time... ain't gonna happen through the nose. You need embouchure work. I am in the same boat. My teacher can open mouth, take huge breath, has a HUGE amount of blowing power/support and his embouchure is always set. Seek to perfect not to take short cuts.

Your embouchure get's destroyed... then that is an obstacle you need to work on/overcome, not find a different way to 'avoid' it. This is what sets professionals apart from those that never make it. The professionals work at things until it works, the rest just cut corners.

New Friend

I can't my nose is stuffed most of the time lol

The other way I can keep the same embouchure setting is when I play with most of the bottom lip inside the cup

Piano User

Have you got a teacher?

It is important to have one that knows technical things observe how you play, it will help greatly before you do what I did, try work it out on your own, and find everything you done is wrong. Ask the members here. I had all the 'embouchure' questions, i had all the videos, I had all the pictures of myself/playing.

None of that helped in correct recommendation. Only once i had a teacher in person were things pointed out, helped/fixed. Even now I am still working on this, but I know what I am working towards, and correctly. No video/pictures online helped.

Dayton, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel... View Post
    I can't my nose is stuffed most of the time lol...
    Have you got a good doctor?
    Jolter and BigSwingFace like this.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Frederick, MD

In my experience it's always a good idea to breathe through the corners. This keeps the center set in place but allows the muscles on the sides to briefly relax. Breathing through your nose as in a Caruso exercise will definitely work but it would take superchops to be able to do that through a set. I would suggest trying not to use pressure from the mouthpiece; just use your muscle memory insure you keep the same feel in the center when taking a breath from the corners. As Maynard Ferguson said, "I grip the mouthpiece, the mouthpiece doesn't grip me."
    "You stand out here all night tryin to blow your f#@$in brains out; when it comes time to play, what do you play? Clams?!?!" - Buddy Rich

2007 Kanstul 1600
    1952 Conn 22B
    1985ish Getzen Flugel
    1887 CG Conn Eb Tuba

Lancaster, PA

I have to jump in and am hoping the original poster has had no instruction from a trumpet instructor. I simply cannot wrap my brain around a player who has not learned or was never taught to breath from the corners of his/her mouth the first week he has played. I hope it was not his fault but.... jeeez!

Recommendation: Breath from the corners of the mouth, keep chops on the mpc every breath. Just that simple. Let's not make it more complicated that it needs to be.

Having said that I distinctly remember my first lesson forty five years ago when I was told to keep my chops on the mpc and inhale from the corners of my mouth. Later I learned that it was also okay to allow any air that can make it in through the nose to supplement the mouth breath. The rest was learning to breath deeper and deeper as I developed.
    Sethoflagos likes this.
    Absence of proof is not proof of absence; mankind's greatest power lies in belief, textured with experience limited only by ones willingness to dream.

2012 Getzen Custom 3051
    1986 Yamaha YTR 6340
    1976 Bach Strad
    1965-66 Selmer K-modified
    1951 King SilverSonic
    1975 Getzen Eterna flugel

Thread Information