Trumpet Discussion Discuss Embouchure. Natural or Tweak. in the General forums; I know that this is kind of a broad question. But IN GENERAL, do you think it's better to leave ...
    New Friend

Question Embouchure. Natural or Tweak.

I know that this is kind of a broad question. But IN GENERAL, do you think it's better to leave someone's embouchure to naturally develop? or to tweak it into working the way that it should?

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Re: Embouchure. Natural or Tweak.

It's not just a broad question, it a loaded question. It certainly depends on what you mean by "should" - who is deciding what anyone's embouchure "should" work like? And what exact changes would be made to make it work like it "should"? Certainly there are principles which can help an embouchure "naturally develop" in a more effective manner but without someone who is very knowledgeable observing the current direction of development, there is no way to say that any sort of "tweaking" could help someone. So, in general leave it alone. It could get tweaked in the wrong direction.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Piano User
    Richland, MO

Yeah, I'd say that if you have to ask the question here, you ought not be changing folks embouchures.
    Bach 37
    4MC/NY BB

Medina, NY

Well, in about 6th grade mine was developing in such a way that it began to become detrimental to my playing (i played with almost NO top lip, it was horrible). I tweaked it, and now I play pretty close to 50/50, and 5 years later I'm better that I ever would have been with that old embouchure.
    Strange thing is, my sister had the same problem on horn.

I I say let it go to a certain extent, but if it's totally off the wall weird and is making negative progress, fix it!
    1994 Bach Strad Model 43+Bach Megatone 3C=WILL (aka me!)

Pianissimo User

Read Trumpet Technique by Frank Campos. He devotes an entire chapter to the embouchure, its problems, and solutions. In general, DON'T touch a working embouchure. If it is necessary to change, the student needs to work one on one with a pro for the entire duration of the process and thensome on a weekly basis.
    Tennessee Tech Music performance Major

Late Elkhart Bach Strad #37 Bb (Blackburn 19 leadpipe and rounded tuning slide)
    ca. 1956 Conn Director coprion bell cornet Bb
    Sonare TRC-800 C
    1970s Olds Ambassador cornet Eb (cut down by Dr. William Jones)

Mezzo Forte User

A teacher of mine said that embouchure "change" was evolutionary, not revolutionary. Almost everyone's chops evolve over time depending on what and how you practice (and yes, you can evolve badly with bad practice). Of course, every rule has it's exceptions, sometimes an intentional tweak is called for, but only with guidance. As with any chop question, there isn't one ironclad answer.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Evolution is better than revolution.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC180chicago View Post
    I know that this is kind of a broad question. But IN GENERAL, do you think it's better to leave someone's embouchure to naturally develop? or to tweak it into working the way that it should?

In general, it is best to mention embouchure ONLY to your teacher. Putting anything embouchure in public just highlights the fact that there is no single road to success and equally as many ways to destroy it. It also brings out advice from players that have no idea what works and what fails.

I will say that "tweaking" is impossible because embouchure is fine motor skills and they are developed by repetition. That only leaves naturally develop and that means there is no short cut.

Even for the player that has been supposedly doing everything wrong and finds the optimal teacher, there is no "overnight" fix.

That all being said, it would be ignorant to assume that anybody has a static embouchure. We learn or unlearn things every day. Our total experience reflects itself in everything that we do. Surrounding ourselves with good, gives us plenty of opportunity to get better, just as surrounding ourselves in bad gives us other role models. Life is change, it is OUR responsibility to make sure that we are moving forward.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information