Trumpet Discussion Discuss Embouchure Problem... in the General forums; Hey, I've been playing for about 5 months now and I have stumbled across a massive problem. When I start ...
    New Friend

Embouchure Problem...

Hey, I've been playing for about 5 months now and I have stumbled across a massive problem. When I start playing a low C it sounds fine all the up to the G. After that it all just sounds really hollow and airy, but when I get to a high A it sounds fine again from there on up to the high C... I haven't come across something like this on the forum yet so I hope someone can help.

Oh and this only started happening about 2 weeks ago, before that I was playing pretty decently.

New Friend
    Stow, Ma.

Re: Embouchure Problem...

Its a trumpet...if thats your only problem your doing great !

embouchures have dead spots we need to work on, it will smooth out with time and practice...

Austin, Texas

That's a pretty large span of range that is "blanked" out... and it's in the most played section of the horns range too. Embouchures do NOT have dead spots if they are efficient.

It's very likely that you need to pivot slightly... if you have an overbite (top teeth over bottom when your mouth is closed) then you should try slightly angling the horn downward. "Slightly!" This does not mean play to the ants! I have found that by mis-aligning my jaw when I play (pushing it forward as I ascend), I would run into the same issues... bad tone, no notes, etc. until you reach a certain range where the air would start to whistle through again.

This may or may not solve the issue, and it would be VERY wise to seek out someone that can guide you on this... but that's what comes to mind first.

Keith Fiala

A blank space like that means that you are changing your embouchure to get high notes - BAD NEWS. You just need to spend more time on the workable range until everything works like it should.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information