Trumpet Discussion Discuss Emulating a great player's tone in the General forums; Isn't it wonderful how one can emulate (to a certain extent) a great player's tone just by listening attentively and ...

Emulating a great player's tone

Isn't it wonderful how one can emulate (to a certain extent) a great player's tone just by listening attentively and thinking "I want to sound like that!" Sometimes I really want to find out how all that nerve system connecting your ears and your lips are working to create that effect. Okay, this thread doesn't NEED a response (although you are more than welcome to make one) but sometimes I like to really appreciate the mysterious ways our bodies work.
    Bach Stradivarius 180/37
    Bach 1.5C

"I built my staccato like the piano; low register with the warmth of the cello; lyrical melodies like the violin; running notes like the clarinet" - Maurice André

Re: Emulating a great player's tone

To be honest, I don't think it is possible to "emulate" to any extent someone elses tone.

Listening and thinking does increase your awareness of what other players are doing. A sense of someone elses phrasing, vibrato, MAYBE even tonal shading can be learned, but that is a long process and ony a fraction of the essence of someone elses playing. The more intensively you pay attention to what others do, the more inspiration you get from the WHOLE community - thus creating a NEW INDIVIDUAL. Now THAT is wonderful. It is a different situation when you are playing with someone else and you line up style and tone to create a section sound. Your ears/brain pick up both sounds and you tune yours for maximum total resonance.

There are no nerves connecting the lips and ears (I am constantly reminded of this when observing my 14 year old daughters' telephone conversations.....). The brain is solely responsible for content.

What you suggest would be a great comedy act however! We have great voice impersonaters out there - I am not aware of any trumpet impersonaters............ (Although at the last music fair in Frankfurt, Germany there were a lot of feeble attempts to impersonate Maynard............)
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend

Listen to Aurtoro Sandavals CD Trumpet Evolution. He emulates the history of jazz trumpet from King Oliver to Wynton. I think articulation play a large role in sounding like someone else.

Mezzo Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    To be honest, I don't think it is possible to "emulate" to any extent someone elses tone.
    This opinion really surprises me.

I've heard several great players convincingly emulate other great players, in both tone and choice of "licks." Most recently I heard Warren Vache slip into a full-on Louis Armstrong mode for a full song. Not long before that, I heard Trent Austin move from Louis, to Clifford to Dizzy in a matter of seconds and he didn't have to tell us what he was doing.

I agree that we tend to stir our influences all together and, hopefully, develop "our own" sound, but it IS good exercise to listen and emulate. Just don't forget that you're emulating and don't cover up the "real you."

Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Thread Information