Trumpet Discussion Discuss endurance in the General forums; I've never had much endurance. What do you recommend in the way of a practice routine or method book/DVD that ...
    New Friend

I've never had much endurance. What do you recommend in the way of a practice routine or method book/DVD that can help me build my chops to be able to play longer?

Thanks for your suggestions...

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Re: endurance

There are many threads on this forum - and many opinions in those threads - about how to do that. If you do a search on "endurance" you will find some that may be helpful. Also, I understand that there are some clinic sessions on Youtube about it but I haven't tried to find any. The various threads will refer to books, videos and other resources related to improving endurance. But, the most common theme you will find is that it is individual to you and that you need to find what works. Long, slow, soft tones are generally recommended as a starting point, along with proper breathing techniques. So, in the end, it is a matter of finding a routine that will help and then just practice, practice, practice (like preparing to run a marathon).
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Endurance comes when we finally understand our part in the music. We then start to play WITH the music instead of against it. All of a sudden we discover the musical lines that are not static rather swell and receed. That understanding, coupled with a decent DAILY routine of about an hour will get most kids, comeback players or college non-trumpet-major students on a very good path. Then you need ensemble playing 2-4 times per week to round the rest off.

Players that are more serious (trumpet majors) already do what is necessary and with a more comprehensive playing schedule, may have other things that work.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

I can't put it any other way. Endurance comes from enduring. You learn this by being forced to go further than you thought you could and in the process, learning how to conserve and hopefully not injuring yourself.

Thread Information