Trumpet Discussion Discuss endurance and a leak in the General forums; Hi Manny I am 66 years old and trying very hard to get to a point where I can enjoy ...
    New Friend
    Austin Texas

Red face endurance and a leak

Hi Manny
    I am 66 years old and trying very hard to get to a point where I can enjoy playing my horn after 30 years off. You have been very helpful in answering my previous questions and I am really progressing.
    I have two questions: 1) When I play relaxed and in the middle register, I tend to leak air and saliva from the left side of my mouthpiece. I can concentrate and stop this from happening but not without tightening up and playing sharp. Advice please.
    2) I play in a concert band that plays only film score music. Last night we tried our hand at Parade of the Charioteers from Ben Hur. It doesn't stop. 98 bars of forte or more. I am on the third part and I just can't last. By bar 55 I have a's and b's above the staff and there is nothing left. Again, any suggestion would be welcome for me as well as our entire trumpet section.

Thanks Manny for all you help.

Utimate User

Re: endurance and a leak

Dear Paul,

Both problems you cite come from the same source: a lack of strength from the "corners" of the embouchure.

What you need to do is back up and do some quiet playing while you pronounce the word TOOH as you play. This simple action will bring the corners in a bit and support your embouchure while you play. I would suggest ascending scales that have you articulate in the upper register like you see in the Schlossberg book. Do them slowly and you'll build the necessary muscles to have better endurance.

I believe in quiet playing that lasts over a longer period of time. So, quiet playing in the upper register with a very relaxed approach will be very good for you.

Thread Information