Trumpet Discussion Discuss Equipment Question... in the General forums; Hello Again... This question has nothing to do with my last topic... At my last trumpet lesson my teacher was ...
    Pianissimo User

Equipment Question...

Hello Again...

This question has nothing to do with my last topic...

At my last trumpet lesson my teacher was explaining to me the differences between soloing and playing in a orchestral section.

He mentioned that sound conceptions are different and that the equipment used to achieve the different sounds are different.

He mentioned that soloist will often use "smaller" mouthpieces and orchestral section players will use heavier bigger equipment...

I was wondering, what's considered "small" in the orchestral soloing world.

I play a bach 3C that was giving to me and in a little while I will be investing some money for a new mouthpiece. Any advice?

Utimate User

It's all a question of lip size. I wear a size 10 shoe and I have friends who wear 13 but we all need to walk and run.

Typically, I don't run into a lot of orchestral players who play a mouthpiece that small but our past 4th and utility player, Mike Hipps, has very thin lips and played a mouthpiece that was not much bigger than a 7C. He s a tall guy but, as I say, had thin lips. In contrast, a 3C sized piece is a piccolo trumpet mouthpiece for me. So, don't go by too many hard and fast rules.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown
    When it comes to section playing, the goal in an orchestra is to match the principal player's sound and at the same time serve as a "bridge" to the horns and trombones. This is a sound issue rather than a mouthpiece diameter issue. "Memorize" the sound of the first player and play along with it when practicing. Do the same with the 1st Horn sound. As a soloist, the orchestra should be at your beck and call when playing, so you needn't change mouthpieces.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Thread Information