Trumpet Discussion Discuss Etudes in the General forums; Andrew, This is slightly based off of another thread where you mentioned using certain etudes for certain things (specifically Brandt ...
    Pianissimo User
    Berlin, Germany

This is slightly based off of another thread where you mentioned using certain etudes for certain things (specifically Brandt for louder playing). I am big fan of using etudes for almost everything, especially getting into shape and preparing for recitals.

Today I was practicing from a few new books I bought and a very important point became very clear to me: Bach was a far better composer than Smith, Clarke, or Bousquet. Yet for some reason we tend to stick to these other "trumpet composers' " music. I mention this because I've come across two books of Bach and Telemann music arranged for the trumpet, in a form much like etudes.

So firstly, I wanted to ask Andrew, what ways do you use etudes to aid in your playing both now as a principal player and before you were in an orchestra? Which books do you like? How do you approach them?

Secondly, I wanted to mention these two (and there are a few others I just don't remember the names) Bach/Telemann books. One is The Art of Phrasing by Michael Ewald and the other is Bach for Trumpet by Michael Gisondi. Also, Chris Gekker has a few Bach pieces in the back of one of his books not to be overlooked. Does anyone know of any other Bach or other significant composers' music done up in a similar way? Duets too?

Obviously, because Bach wasn't writing for trumpet, the physical demands end up being much more substantial, the register changes much more difficult, and lastly but most importantly, the musical value dwarfs that of the Smith Top Tones and the Clarke Characteristic Studies. I played well past when I should of because they're just so damn fun to play. There are many other advantages too, but extraneous for now... maybe latter.

Last edited by mazzrick; 02-22-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Re: Etudes

Hi Mazzrick,
    I agree about the musical quality of trumpet etudes. I usually am thinking about other things when I am playing though so that doesn't come in to play too much for me.
    The most important thing about etudes for me is purpose. I try to make sure before I start working on a study that I know exactly why I am doing it and what I hope to get out of it. To that end I actually keep a trumpet journal that I write in every day to help me keep up with practice habits, lessons learned, things to avoid etc. Some of my favorite books are Goldman, Sachse, Brandt, Clodimir, Getchell and Arban. I use them for all sorts of projects in my playing that I am working on, although these books are mostly technical for me. For lyrical playing I like the Concone and the Knopp books. I don't think that the Knopp is published, but it's around in various forms all over the place.
    Thanks for the suggestions about the Bach books. I will look into that.

I try to strike a balance in my practicing. There are some nuts and bolts things that we, as trumpet players, have to address. That's what Clarke, Arbans, Goldman, etc. are for. Then there are the things that all musicians need. Bach gives you that, but you can also find great music in the etudes of Charlier, Bitsch (if your ear swings that way) and Tomasi (I've performed the lesser known of his 6 Etudes in recital). A few weeks ago I started making myself warm up every day by doing a half hour consisting only of Clarke and Bach chorales (just playing individual melodies). I'm not sure if it's made me a better musician, but it's made me a happier one.

Sigmund Hering's "Bach for Two Trumpets" is absolutely pheonominal. You can find it here, although I'm not sure if they ship to Germany. Also, I wasn't able to find a link to the sheet music, but David Cooper has transcribed all 6 Cello Suites for trumpet. They're a blow, but absolutely playable. I think you'd enjoy them!

Pianissimo User
    Berlin, Germany

Agreed on with the focus on technical things and Andrew mentioned that too. I too use most etudes for targeting certain things. I've played through nearly all the books you mentioned and what I've started doing is trying to isolate that nuts and bolts fundamental work into exercises and calisthenics and then apply it in the etudes.

I have the Herring Duets but I'd forgotten about that when writing the other post, thanks. I also highly recommend them. Something else, if you have a trombonist friend that can be nice is reading the Bach Keyboard music. It can be done with two trumpets and trombone and is great practice for alto clef and transposing octaves.

And sorry to sidetrack the thread, but does anyone know the Bob Nagel Contemporary Etudes and his Duets from the Rhythmic Studies book. Both great.

Thread Information