Trumpet Discussion Discuss exercising in the General forums; Hello all, Im new here and this is my first Thread. Do you guys exercising regularly likte...jogging, swiming etc and ...

exercising

Hello all, Im new here and this is my first Thread.

Do you guys exercising regularly likte...jogging, swiming etc and if so; does it have positiv efects on your trumpetplaying??

Robert

Re: exercising

Apart from what a trumpet player can gain from the support of athletic lungs, i stongly believe that exercising regularly has a positive effect on your mental health which is the source of success in any task you pick up in life including playing the trumpet,

that being said , i have seen phenomenal wind players who are heavy smokers and atleast look like they dont exercise....

so... draw your own conclusion...

New Friend

There are many trumpet players who recommend exercise but as I'm sure you can see not everyone does so. It can also depend on what type of trumpet playing you are doing. For instance in my Marching Band we actually condition over the summer because of the physical demands of marching for 3-4 hours during practices. I have also heard that developed abdominal muscles can benifit breath support and air power. Cardiovascular exercises are good to as they have to do with blood flow and breathing.

New Friend

It will help you yea. But it isn't necessarily an required thing to be a great player. Look at Maynard Ferguson. He could barely stand up he was so large. But he could amazingly high notes with intensity. So it all really depends on how much work you want to put into it, there are always exceptions to the rule *such as don't puff your cheeks when you play*. We now that doing this is bad and makes it much harder to play. But if you're willing to stick with it you can make it work, like Dizzy Gillespie.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertSlotte View Post
    Hello all, Im new here and this is my first Thread.

Do you guys exercising regularly likte...jogging, swiming etc and if so; does it have positiv efects on your trumpetplaying??

Robert
    Robert,
    of course being in shape is positive for your life in general. I think your question may be more trumpet specific though.

As far as your embouchure and articulation go there is no correlation between sports and playing. Your breathing "could" directly benefit if the activity promotes big breath and controlled exhaling.

Any other benefits are "limited" to the things physical activity would help your life in general with: better concentration, better posture, DISCIPLINE and dedication.

The key to better playing is intelligent practice and the key to living longer and happier is intelligent lifestyle!

blueicedj,
    As far as Maynard goes, he was a big guy, but before you make any assumptions without having met the Boss, you should do some basic research. Then you don't come up with the lie that he could barely stand up! Check these links out for instance:

Jazzzeitung 2006/10: farewell, Abschied von Maynard Ferguson
    Maynard Ferguson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Maynard Ferguson at All About Jazz
    MaynardFerguson.com

You see that his secret was yoga and that demands a lot from your body and soul - something he had in abundance until his death. Any of the people around him would attest to the fact that he not only got around well, but very gracefully too!

The internet has a wealth of information for those who seek it. There is no excuse for ignorance.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Recent studies show that a 30 second sprint can aleviate anxiety and bring down stress levels. I exercise regularly as I love the physical side of playing trumpet. Honing co-ordination skills is a good mental exercise that can pay dividends as trumpet playing requires a good deal of co-ordination.I guess it is a form of cross training.
    What comes out the bell is a reflection of the kind of person we are. I'd like to think that what comes out of my bell is positive, expressive and energetic. I don't know how I would do this of I did not have those elements in my lifestyle.
    To take this to another level, I grew up on a farm.When I was about 18, I showed a bit of promise and was encouraged to move to Sydney to ply my trade. The expressive element of my playing deteriorated living in a flat and living in the rat race. I realised that I needed to be able to put my feet in the bare earth to be at peace with myself in order to play my best.
    I moved to a place where I can live in the country, own a horse, pat my dog and listen to the silence. I've never played better.
    Last edited by ozboy; 07-13-2008 at 07:50 AM.

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post

blueicedj,
    As far as Maynard goes, he was a big guy, but before you make any assumptions without having met the Boss, you should do some basic research. Then you don't come up with the lie that he could barely stand up! Check these links out for instance:

Jazzzeitung 2006/10: farewell, Abschied von Maynard Ferguson
    Maynard Ferguson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Maynard Ferguson at All About Jazz
    MaynardFerguson.com

You see that his secret was yoga and that demands a lot from your body and soul - something he had in abundance until his death. Any of the people around him would attest to the fact that he not only got around well, but very gracefully too!

The internet has a wealth of information for those who seek it. There is no excuse for ignorance.
    Sorry for the assumption. Well that is cool he did yoga, I guess a bit of exercise can go a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by blueicedj View Post
    Sorry for the assumption. Well that is cool he did yoga, I guess a bit of exercise can go a long way.
    I think Maynards greatness was based on his attitude. He was living proof how down to earth the stratosphere could be - as a person and a trumpeter!

In any case, the oneness of mind and body can move mountains. WE need to start today!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

When I was young, my trumpet teacher, who spent a fair bit of time studying trumpet in America, told me that Maynard was extremely aware of the physical requirements of being a trumpet player. He said that he used to practice naked with a coin between his cheeks in order to build correct posture. If the coin fell out he was not standing correctly. He did have a wicked sense of humour.While this is probably a baseless fact, it does explain why my mother always said,
    " Don't put that coin in your mouth. You never know where it has been!"

Thread Information