Trumpet Discussion Discuss explanations? in the General forums; Soooo I have the general concept that a more rounded tuning slide is more free blowing etc. A 72 bell ...
    Mezzo Piano User
    Murfreesboro, TN

Soooo I have the general concept that a more rounded tuning slide is more free blowing etc. A 72 bell is darker sounding than a 37 etc. A 43 leadpipe is bigger than a 25 and takes more air to blow. I am familiar with bachs, but I was wondering if you guys could elaborate more on the different sizes? Ive read the websites, some of it makes sense some of it doesn't. So if you could please elaborate on the different sizes of lead pipes, bell sizes, etc. I already know of the finishes and all. I just need it all explained in simpler terms.

Re: explanations?

It is all here: (How does a trumpet work?)

None of the explanations that you have are true. A rounded tuning slide CAN change something to fool the player into thinking that it is more free blowing, but depending on bracing can also suggest the opposite. Size of the leadpipe has NOTHING to do with the blow, it is the taper and how well the taper matches the bell. I have never found the 72 to be darker, I played one for many years and it really lit up when you leaned on it.

Read the thread on how a trumpet works and play any and every horn that you can get your hands on. Then you know the truth.

It is important to get away from simplistic marketing descriptions and really get into the character of the different instruments. It is so much more then loud and soft / dark and light. The sound of the 37 for instance remains more compact when you crescendo, the 72 tends to spread. That is something you will only understand when you have played the horn enough to understand it. That "focus" on the 37 is what makes it popular with symphony players. It is just predictable.

Even simpler terms means even farther from what is really going on. You have to increase your knowledge. That comes from doing, not having us spoon feed you!
    Last edited by rowuk; 12-02-2009 at 01:15 AM.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information