Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Extreme Throat tension in the General forums; Teach yourself to create the undesired trait at will, figure out how you do that and then, yeah, Stop It!...
    Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Extreme Throat tension

Teach yourself to create the undesired trait at will, figure out how you do that and then, yeah, Stop It!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Re: Extreme Throat tension

Tension is perfectly normal for those not willing to slow down. If you can inhale and exhale in a relaxed way without the trumpet, then you have everything that you need. The reason it doesn't work has more to do with your attitude than a pathological issue.

To be honest, I don't believe one word of what you wrote about you and your teacher. It is simply not possible to get worse if you slow down, exhale into the horn, slowly inhale and avoid locking your body up. I think that you are deceiving yourself and that would surely reduce the possibility of improvement without monitoring to about ZERO.

IF the issue is as serious as you claim, the first step it to quit all ensemble work - that you are screwing up anyway. Then you need to learn how to breathe without the horn again, after that long tones in the low and mid register - no range work, no technical studies. Once long tones work, then simple slurs are up next - all exhaled - no tonguing. After that comes simple tunes like from a hymnbook being careful to breathe with the music. Once you have 4 to 8 weeks of relaxed practice down, then there can be some cautious addition of technical studies.

My basic philosophy is that most players make up a story to fit what they think is happening - and expect us to believe it. Life is not that difficult. If something looks like rotten fish, feels like rotten fish and stinks like rotten fish, I am not going to eat it - and you shouldn't either. Good luck!
    richtom likes this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information