Trumpet Discussion Discuss Extremely tight slide remedy? in the General forums; On my donation trumpet, the middle valve slide is very tight. I cleaned it to shiny brass with a Scotch ...
    New Friend

Extremely tight slide remedy?

On my donation trumpet, the middle valve slide is very tight. I cleaned it to shiny brass with a Scotch pad and greased it but still very tight.

Wondering what the best thing to do, since the slide brass is so thin, I don't want to take too much off, should I also take some off the receiver where the slide goes into?

What about using a very fine sandpaper, about 400-600 wet or dry?

Thanks..knotty

Mezzo Piano User

Re: Extremely tight slide remedy?

If the slide comes off, I wouldn't worry too much about it, my strad's slide is extremely tight, but I think its just for the purpose of keeping the horn airtight. Otherwise you might try a dab of valve oil and see if it gets the slide moving
    1970 Bach Stradivarius 37
    1970s Buescher Aristocrat-student horn
    2012 Dynasty Professional Marching Trumpet

Raiders Drum and Bugle Corps-'11, '12

Why G bugles need to come back to DCI

Other stuff:
    Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 2002
    Honda Fourtrax 300 2x4 1998
    Polaris Indy 500 1998
    Polaris 550 2-up 2007
    Polaris 800 XCR 1999 with custom suspension

New Friend

This slide is an extreme case. I had to put valve oil, wiggle it side to side very hard many times and it would move perhaps .001 inch. Did this maybe three times a day and it took three days of doing this to finally get it off.

once you have it off did you use a good quality slide grease?
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons
    www.bobgriermusic.com

I think that your original idea of cleaning out the inside of the 2nd valve receiver might be warranted. Sometimes years and years of slow build-up can make the fit unbearably tight. I've always had great luck working with instrument repairmen that I trust to fix little things like that. They obviously know the tricks of the trade and many times enjoy a good challenge, provided it doesn't take up too much of their time. Over the years I've had a number of minor fix-er-uppers that have cost me $10 or less with excellent results. Good luck!
    Mt. Vernon Bb - Monette B1/2
    Monette C937
    Bach 229H C with Malone MC2 - Monette C1/2
    Schilke P5/4
    Yamaha YTR-9610 Eb/D
    Bach 184 Bb Cornet

A quick way to clean it is to put valve oil on the inner tube and insert it into the upper and spin it back and forth to build up some heat. Valve oil is a great cleaner. We use it at the shop for cleaning flute tenons and other things.

The slide could be out of alignment as well. 2nd valve doesn't have it happen as often as the other slides, but it does occur.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

New Friend

OK, I took the slide elbow and mounted it a model makers vise gently with padded jaws and took 1/4" strips of wet or dry #400 sandpaper and brought the slide tenons to bright brass.

For the receiver or fixed part on the trumpet, I used the Dremel tool with the small felt buffing tool and with a red rouge buffing compound polished the inside of the receiver. A couple times of this made the slide easier to insert but still snug with grease, so I left it like that.

Brekelefuw,
    your right, the mating pieces are very slightly out of alignment because I can insert one leg of the tenon separately into the receiver with normal tension.

Anyway, thanks all for the input, it's fixed now and without botching it..LOL

Thanks...knotty

Fortissimo User

I hope that you didn't remove so much metal that it no longer seals. If the slide tubes are out of alignment, it will bind even though the tubes are the correct diameter. If you remove metal when the alignment is the issue, you may need to remove a lot in order for it to finally fit but then it will not seal properly. You may want to check by putting some soapy water on the joint, removing the 1st valve slide, pressing both the 1st and 2nd valve, putting your thumb over the top tube from the 1st valve, and then blowing through the leadpipe to see if bubbles form around the 2nd slide joints - just to check.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackKid View Post
    If the slide tubes are out of alignment, it will bind even though the tubes are the correct diameter. If you remove metal when the alignment is the issue, you may need to remove a lot in order for it to finally fit but then it will not seal properly.
    Same applies if there is ding(s) on the slides where they go one into the other.

Nick I - freelance wellness consultant
    My online store
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

New Friend

Thanks for the tip ComeBackKid, there aren't any leaks. I just loosened the slide just enough where it could be removed but still requiring effort. At least now, it won't get frozen with time.

Thread Information