Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Face, Lip Injury HELP in the General forums; We are humbled by your student. G-d bless, ML...
    Utimate User
    We are humbled by your student.

G-d bless,

Piano User
    practice room 5
    he remians in my prayers
    More than just a trumpet player

Wow. What a situation! I have often wondered what I would do if I couldn't play trumpet due to an injury or something. I have even given thought to hanging up the horn to pursue my other instrument - drums. However, it sounds like he was playing a tad bit better than I was coming out of high school, and I can understand why he might be reluctant to just give it up for something else, not to mention the kind of time it would take to develop facilty on another instrument.

I don't really have any advice other than to just take it slow and see what happens, but you can feel free to let him know that he has a bunch of people pulling for him.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Pianissimo User
    Des Moines, IA
    Don Juan,

Where do you live? Perhaps someone here knows of a teacher with such experience.

New Friend
    Hey you dude.

Don't sweat it. And that is great that your kid is recovering. Dude, when that happened to me my sophomore year, I thought I was never gonna play again. But you know what? Now I can, but I don't play with the same embrochure, but I still play pretty damn good.

New Friend

I can sympatize with what he is going through. I've posted my story on this board earlier this year and gotten some of Manny's advice on things.

-- In a nutshell, I graduated from North Texas with a Master's in Trumpet, and went on playing cruise ships/road bands etc.. for the past 8 years or so -- having every intention of going back and getting my docterate and teaching at a Univerisity somewhere.

-- I had a blood vessel burst in my lip, and would not stop bleeding, evanually having to have a plastic surgeon go in and take the vein out.

I was forced to take a year off to let everything heal, and was going to try and to come back.

I couldn't get a sound out of the horn. Not one sound -- I couldn't get my lips to buzz in or out of the horn. I gave up for a while, expored life without the aspect of music in it, hated it, and after another year picked my horn back up. No sound, no buzz nothing.

Through fate I got hooked up with a former student of Penzeralla, and am now in my 3rd month of coming back, and am making good progress.

Just through my experince and talking to docturs/plastic surgeons and the like, as long as he doesn't have nerve damage, or massive amounts of scar tissue -- he can come back.

I would def wait until he is 100% healed, physically. As others have suggested, take up piano/drums/bass -- these are great fundamental instruments that will only make his trumpet playing better.

Some things that have helped me --

1. Start back on Flugelhorn/ on a flugel MP. One of the problems I came across, my body still had the muscle memory and "feel" of how I used to play. The only problem with that was, that old way just didn't work anymore with my injury. I had to relearn a different way to play.

Trumpet had so many already established habits that it was hard to get away from my old habits. So... one thing I did was to practice for a good month or so on flugelhorn -- never touching the turmpet.

2. There are no rules! All the pre-convied ideas/rules you have about playing, throw them out the window. Try anything -- even if it seems wrong. I couldn't buzz my lips until finally I happened to puff my cheeks out and bamm, there was a buzz. For some reason I could buzz and produce a sound when I let my cheeks go. Although this is "wrong" -- it turned out to be right for me.

3. Try to think of the product, not the process. This is really a hard one to get sometimes, as when things are going wrong your natural inclination is to analyze what is going on physically. WHich you might have to do at first, but try to end up thinking of the sound and the result you want, rather then "tongue lvl here, corners here, fingers here etc.. ) . I've found myself listening alot more then I used to for this purpose.

Anyway, I will leave you with my e-mail addrees -- feel free to e-mail me or have your student e-mail and I can give you ideas that have worked for me so far, or if he jsut wants to chat.

I think the most important thing is to get him a teacher that is willing to work with him, who will be empathetic, and is a flow/sound/air oriented type of teacher.

Most of all, and I learned this the hard way, do not give up.

email -- [email protected]

New Friend

Re: Face, Lip Injury HELP

There is a plastic surgeon in Toronto who has extensive experience fixing injured embouchures. If this kid is as serious as you say, he may want to contact Dr. Simon McGrail. If so he should do it soon, as McGrail is not practicing as much as he used to. See the thread "lip injury" by Utu, I just replied with some contact information there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information