Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Fantastic New Adam Rapa Performance in the General forums; Originally Posted by bumblebee I thought the "all over the shop" bit was actually a nice touch - a bit ...
    Piano User

Re: Fantastic New Adam Rapa Performance

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
    I thought the "all over the shop" bit was actually a nice touch - a bit like "Instant Concert", or packing four movements into a single one. Think about ballet overtures, or the "Horton Suite" ( )

As Mr Fitzgerald posted earlier, it's nice to have a selection of interpretations to choose from.

Interpretations are great when they make sense.

Great Southern Land

In the case of this piece I'd almost say that playing the phrases even within 75% of the way it's written would be a good "interpretation"! I downloaded the clarinet score this morning and spent a couple of hours trying it out and it's not easy (for me). I'm even more impressed at Mr Rapa's performance now. Also, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to play it - the low notes are lower than I can play, and go up to second A above the staff.

N. Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by therealnod View Post
    I agree with some of the comments above...I didn't like the piece itself, but the trumpet playing was downright brilliant. The arrangement was all over the shop.
    Exactly my thoughts. Wonderful playing - superb ensemble and tone. Terrible arrangement. So meandering: I found it hard to make any form of sense of; there was no discernable development, no discernable themes. I'm not one to be prudish about the performance of the original exactly as it was composed, but in this case I'll take the original. As a piece of music it makes sense. The drums sounded really forced into this ensemble. His arrangement of Bumblebee was much more successful as it used the rock band idiomatically. Each to their own I guess - I'm not knocking his ability. He is an excellent trumpeter.

"A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you, the less you know." - Aristotle.

Melbourne Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Tberry841 View Post
    All in the eyebrows, he's pretty darn great!
    Yep, I loved it, what a great player.... I'm off to have my eyebrows plucked, and my head shaved... oh and my extra 50lbs - well.

BTW Polarisation in a forum is always spicy - salt and pepper views - fun!

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Piano User

Here is a link to an interview Adam did a couple years back. It is neat to learn from his perspective and approach to both the trumpet and music. Plus if you're like me you'll learn a thing or two about his approach to technique as well, enjoy:
    Let your music paint with colors, textures, and passion! 

Monette P3-STC
    Bach Strad 37
    Bach Cornet
    @TrumpetGamerGuy (Twitter)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information