Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Trumpet Discussion Discuss A Fast Warmup needed... in the General forums; Warm-ups are different for all of us, and anyone who says there is one that will fit everyone is beyond ...
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Warm-ups are different for all of us, and anyone who says there is one that will fit everyone is beyond stupid. For many people a warm-up is more mental than physical, and for others there is almost no need for a warm-up at all.

Band directors (myself included) do generic warm-ups in an attempt to help the whole band, but we need to realize that what we are doing is truly generic.

As I'm getting older I find that I need a little more warm-up time than I did a few years ago, but for themost part, I'm still a person who needs almost no warm-up. On the other hand, if the playing conditions are cold in temperature I'm cooked, stick a fork in me, it's just not going to happen that day!.

So try and develop a little warm up for yourself. I carried a flugelhorn leadpipe when I was in college and I would buzz on it while walking from class to class. You get some strange looks, but you also get some buzz time in! It may be a small answer to your question. By the way, I still do that in my car while driving to a gig.
    C - Harrelson 750 Modified Bach Strad
    Picc - Schilke P5-4
    Flugel - Kanstul ZKF1525
    Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37
    Bb - Bach Strad LT 180L-43

Forte User
    Quote Originally Posted by JackD
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewWK
    My band director forbids the act of personally warming up. HIS warm up is the only warm up that is valid.
    That sounds very stupid to me.
    First off andrewWK, you comments suggest that you think that you know more than your band director. They have at least a B.S. degree in Music Ed, if not higher, and have probably been playing or been in music in general as long as you have been alive.

They probably know a few things you don’t, even if they don’t make sense to you.

Have you ever directed a HS or MS band before? Very rarely do any of average high school or middle school kids know the first thing about how to warm up they will even do things to "warm up" that have a huge negative impact on correct playing. so the idea of a band director having a good amount of control over a warm up is far from stupid.

of course each case is different and each band is different, but by in large i would agree with any band director [that did] this.

next time put more thought into you comments before you label something stupid, especially when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information