Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Favorite concert halls/venues in the General forums; Originally Posted by Derek Reaban My vote for favorite hall (from an audience perspective) is Orchestra Hall / Symphony Center ...
    Piano User
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Reaban
    My vote for favorite hall (from an audience perspective) is Orchestra Hall / Symphony Center in Chicago. The first time I heard a big time orchestra was Mahler 3 at Orchestra Hall in the early 90s. Wow! I was just blown away at how clear everything was!
    I'm glad my city is home to one of the finer concert halls in the country,

New Friend
    St Louis

I second the Musikverein. I love the way that hall looks too, with the boxes that some players end up sitting in at the back of the stage.

Powell Hall in St Louis isn't bad either, if a little too big and "wet". You can get away with a lot there that you couldn't get away with in Carnegie.

Also a hall worth considering for worst hall is the hall in Denver. It's a barn, and you have to really work to get the sound off the stage.

Mezzo Piano User
    I love Severance Hall in Cleveland, and Meyerson in Dallas. Our hall in Charlotte is definitely mediocre.

Pianissimo User
    SO, not to argue with those of you who know what you're talking about...

But the guys (maybe gals too, but I'm only aware of the tpts.) in the CSO are not fans of their hall. They feel that it sucks out the highs of the sound, or something along those lines. Yes, it is clear. But beyond that often leaves much to be desired. I recall one of the tpt. players in the section talking about their east coast tour a few years back in which they played Mahler 7 (?)in Boston (?). Apparently some people said that trumpets sounded great, projected phenomenally, sounded really brilliant and present (something along those lines) and they asked, why don't you guys play that way in your hall - to which the CSO member replied, "We do." [Again, NONE of this is a direct quote or even a good paraphrase].

I did 3 years of undergrad in Chicago and heard the CSO pretty much every week that they were playing for 4 years.

Now I'm in school 1.5 hours from Dallas and have had season tickets for the last two years. To my ears, it is the opposite of Chicago's hall - really really resonant with lots of reverb but not much clarity and this might be what causes me to hear a lack of core to the sound of the orchestra as compared to what I'm used to hearing in Chicago. Or course, it could just be different sounds for different orchestras.

Next year I'll be in Cleveland listening to the Cleveland Orcehstra as much as possible. I've been blessed, getting to hear some great orchestras. Students who don't got listen as often as possible should question their commitment to really learning, don't you guys think?

Saint Paul, MN
    i have not been in orchesra hall chicago since the renovation. but went a lot before. i thought that prerenovation the sound was so variable, the main floor stunk as did the balcony under the gallery overhang. the front of the balcony (in front of the gallery overhand) and the gallery were the best seats imo.
    Per aspera ad astra

Forte User
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Royal Albert Hall

The acoustics are terrible (from both the stage and the audience), the backstage facilities are better than they used to be, but not nearly good enough and the bar is too expensive (a VERY important aspect of any concert hall ).
    However, it has an atmosphere that is simply incredible. You walk on stage and there is an audience surrounding you, stretching up almost as high as you can see (until you look up at the mushrooms, of course) and there is an electric feeling - even when the hall is empty and you are just rehearsing there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information