Trumpet Discussion Discuss Favorite conductors? in the General forums; Hey Manny, Do you have a favorite guest conductor? Just curious. -Jimi...

Favorite conductors?

Hey Manny,
    Do you have a favorite guest conductor? Just curious.

Utimate User

I would have to say that Helmuth Rilling is one of those people that I enjoy because of his sincere comittment to music and his view that great music can change the quality of people's lives. His Bach is close to perfection.

Jan Pascal Tortelier is a wonderful interpreter and honest musician. I would be happy to have him as our music director when Osmo leaves.

There are just too many to name.

Lafayette, LA, USA
    Who are my favorite conductors??? Wow! Now that is hard to say because I am old compared to some of you, and young compared to a few of you. I’ll only state a list from those whom I had the privilege of playing under, or studying with, during my years in music. Here are my top 5 in no special order:

1- Howard Dunn – I played under his direction a few times and also had the chance to study with him, He was the best at getting the extra musical ideas across to a band.
    2- Joe Berry Mullins – The director of bands at the University of Southern Mississippi (and before that Northeast Louisiana University) he was amazing. Under his direction the Wind Ensemble at USM became one of the best in the country.
    3- John Paynter – I think that almost everyone that played under John Paynter will tell you that he/she was never musically the same. Once you experienced the Paynter touch your life was changed forever. I think the thing I admired him for the most was his accomplishments with the Northshore Concert Band. He brought music to the masses starting in 1956. To him it didn’t matter if you were a janitor or professional musician – everyone who claimed the title musician or music lover was treated with respect by John Paynter.
    4- Frederick Ebbs – He was the director at Indiana and I played under him as a member of an honor band in Fairfax, Virginia. I can remember playing Elegy by John Barnes Chance under his direction. He told us the story behind the piece right before we performed it and I don’t think there was a dry eye in the house. He was wonderful at getting us to play with emotion. It was a performance I remember from about 1974. When I heard about his death in the early 1980’s I remember sitting down by myself and crying. He had a great impact on me and I only played under his direction for 4 days. I wanted to play under his direction in college but for some reason I just didn’t like the school when I visited. Wow! 4-years under his direction would have been great!
    5- Col. John Bourgeois – I played under his direction many times, and admired his work as both a student and teacher. The most memorable concert I ever attended was the night he was decommissioned as Director of the President’s Own at Constitution Hall in Washington D.C. I drove 1200 miles to be at that concert. If I had it all to do over again I would drive that far plus another 1200 miles.
    C - Harrelson 750 Modified Bach Strad
    Picc - Schilke P5-4
    Flugel - Kanstul ZKF1525
    Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37
    Bb - Bach Strad LT 180L-43

Thread Information