Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Martin Williams
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Favorite drum corps!!!! in the General forums; Hey there guys. Since there is like nothing out there on Drum Corps. I figures i ask you guys who ...
    Banned Pianissimo User
    Cape Coral, FL

Favorite drum corps!!!!

Hey there guys. Since there is like nothing out there on Drum Corps. I figures i ask you guys who your fav drum corps are ;)

List your top 3, 3=least fav, 1=fav :)

1. Blue Devils
    2. Carolina Crown
    3. The Cavaliers

I love the Blue devils and i think i always have, They have class. And their percussion is pretty bad ass as well. My number 3 choice though would either be the Cavaliers or Boston Crusaders, which by the way i am auditioning for Boston this November. But ultimatly it's the Cavaliers. And dear god Carolina crown has some of the best brass sounds i have ever heard. I could listen to them all day! Very rich and full tone they produce!

So list your top 3 drum corps bands guys! Would love to see what you guys like!

BTW, these don't have to be world class drum corps bands either. Can be any you think of. Because i also like Blue Devils B a little bit also. But mostly a World class fan.
    Last edited by trumpetplayer231; 09-12-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Huntsville, Texas

Re: Favorite drum corps!!!!

Hmmm, guess you haven't dealt much with BD....

1. Phantom Regiment
    2. Madison Scouts
    3. Star of Indiana

Yeah I know, where's Crown? Best hornline, and Finé, oh my goodness, but they aren't about polish.
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart

New Friend

The Commandant's Own, the Marine D&B (Because I marched for 8 years)
    Madison, because they've been the most consistently entertaining corps with high quality since the 70s.
    Phantom for their symphonic sound.

Hate the many copy cat corps, and especially the ones that write drill first, then write music to fit the drill. Another thing I hate that started in the mid 80s with the Garfield Cadets, corps trying to show off their high musical technique with dozens of measures of rest for the hornline, THEN, suddenly, 2 staccato syncopated 16th notes....then more measures of rests.

Mezzo Piano User Martin Williams's Avatar
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh

I've never really cared much for who were the 'top' corps, rather always sided with those that entertain me most, plain simple audience connection, gut reaction, no thought about the show required, just enjoy.

Groups like Velvet Knights, Jersey Surf, Bridgemen were and are always great for that, other corps hit me differently and I love them just as much. For example Spirit is just pure energy and awesome, as well as Phantom for telling a story with music better than anyone else ever could!

I've enjoyed shows from every corps over the years, and don't really pick favorites as long as they entertain and connect with me and the audience around me.
    rgw4 likes this.

Mezzo Piano User Martin Williams's Avatar
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh

And of course the DCA circuit is full of amazing groups as well, always loved to see a show with the Cabs or Empire Statesmen (Statesmen, now THAT is showmanship!!) and a newer group Fusion Core is fantastic at programing a show to bring the audience in as well.

The Commandants Own is great as well, not in either curcuit but impeccable and unbeatable in execution of their programs. I have one of their retired contra bass bugles, 2 valves with an extra rotary valve that is fun to play on. I have a friend from school whom is currently playing with the group.

Thread Information