Trumpet Discussion Discuss Favourite/Favorite Non-Musical Moment in the General forums; As Tren has already asked about everyone's favorite music moment - does anyone have any non-musical moments that they feel ...
    Forte User
    Farnham (a place too smal

Favourite/Favorite Non-Musical Moment

As Tren has already asked about everyone's favorite music moment - does anyone have any non-musical moments that they feel were Conference Highlights?

Most of mine involve Pink Wigs

Jon Faddis was an awesome guy with a great sense of humour - didn't put on the wig (shame) but was such a nice guy about it I didn't care

Meeting people is always a highlight of any ITG - those that I have met before, those I have got to know online (wherever) and meeting a bunch of completely new people - great guys & gals everywhere

Antigonish, NS

It was great to watch you and Jon Faddis with the wig on!! I think he all most put it on!! Maybe next time!

Forte User
    Atlanta, GA
    I experienced many musical and non-musical highlights, but this one I want to mention right away as it is most meaningful to me. Mary Rapier taking the podium and sharing her stories about Leon Rapier. Infact, the entire part of the banquet honoring Leon Rapier was the deepest for me. Especially before the banquet when Mary and I shared a long, loving hug as did Beth and I. I was also touched by Mike Tunnell. We shared a wonderful conversation and warm hug.) Having said that, I have to admit, there are so many other moments I look forward to sharing when I catch up on life. The friendships, the interaction with players I admire, the music, the inspiration and the education.....the list is long. I am still "blown" away by it all.

Mine was both musical and non-musical… sorry, I just didn’t have time to get to know the waitress at the Landmark…

During my “lost” days in High School… btw, I have continued in that tradition…
    I have my “College lost days”, “Mid - out of college lost days”, “returned to college lost days”, “post college music lost days”, “post college non-music lost days”…. Etc, etc…

Anyway, I digress….

My highlight was being reunited with my High School Trumpet teacher Gil Mitchell. You may have read his interview in the latest ITG Journal. He is now 81 years old and…good Lord, I hope that if I live that long I’m as sharp as this man is.

Not only was he an incredible trumpeter and teacher, but he was also a beacon for many of us young “lost” kid trumpeters… most of them turned out much better than me. Jeff Work the newly appointed principal trumpet of the Oregon Symphony is a good example.

During the conference we shared many meals together and really didn’t have to reminisce very much. It was like we just picked-up where we left off. I tried calling him Gil… you know, kind of like I had grown-up to his level… but it didn’t sit well with me. It made me realize that either he was so far ahead of me that it was impossible to ever “catch-up” (very true), or that he just kept on growing (also very true). He was wise 30 years ago, and it was clear to me he had become wiser still.

He picked on me. Making light hearted jokes and making me feel even more comfortable with him. It’s just what he did before… and it was fine with me. I introduced him to my wife… and of course he offered her his sympathy.

I knew I was going to see him at ITG. But what I didn’t know is that the time I spent with him would overshadow every other event that week!

I’ve had many teachers since those high school days. And without taking anything away from those fine individuals, I can honestly say that combined – they still fell short of the enormous influence this man had on me.

Post-horn-Script: We were later joined by another one of Gil Mitchell’s students, our very own Bill Seigfriend. That was an extra bonus. Bill is a fine gentleman and excellent trumpeter… of course he is, he too was influenced by Gil Mitchell!

Forte User
    Northern New York
    Dinner with Gil Mitchell (thanks again, Rogerio), then at the concert after, Mr. Mitchell introduced me to Frank Kaderabek. "Hey Frank...I'd like you to meet my freind, Glenn". That's exctly what he said. I was blown away and sweating. (Not because it was too warm in there, either). After that, he just put everything in perspective for me. He said "Guys like us...we just had a very fortunate life...we all put our pants on one leg at a time." When I got home, I read the interview as I was proctoring. Fortunate life indeed. But he missed telling me something that is glaringly obvious...he earned everything he got, too.

There are so many, many more things that happend that week that are still with me.

Yeah, Alex. Trumpet Woodstock.
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

I have to agree with Rog about spending time with Gil Mitchell. One of the best lessons he taught us early on (as pretty aggressive/competetive high school students) was to compete only with our trumpet playing and treat other trumpet players as colleagues. Many of us are friends to this day because of that. Gil leads a good life with priorities of faith and family first. A good role model for all of us.
    Bill S.- NY and Mt. Vernon Bach trumpets, Bach "C" cornet, NY Bach trombone 6vii, Schilke G and Yamaha Eb, Bb/A and flugelhorn. Warburton and Monette mouthpieces.

Thread Information