Trumpet Discussion Discuss Feldenkrais in the General forums; Is anyone here familiar with the Feldenkrais method and its relationship to trumpet playing?...
    Mezzo Forte User

Is anyone here familiar with the Feldenkrais method and its relationship to trumpet playing?
    Getzen 907S Eterna Proteus

"It's amazing what we can accomplish if we don't consciously get in the way" Adolph "Bud" Herseth

"Some days there won't be a song in your heart. Sing anyway." Emory Austin

New Friend

Re: Feldenkrais

My brother is a Feldenkrais instructor,
    and he used me a bit for studies, and also helped me once when I got some pulled muscles in my neck and back.
    but it is still hard for me to explain what is the method exactly (I don't fully understand also)
    but in general - you learn how to move properly your body.
    how can it relate for playing?
    well, I believe that you need to play without any unnecessary strain, and you can say that it is what feldenkrais is all about in a way,
    I can ask my brother if you have any specific question.

also, we did planned to try and do a session of me playing and he... feldenkraisng me?
    hope we can get to it soon, if it will be intresting I'll let you know.
    Bach 72 / Blackburn 19 leadpipe
    Bach 229 / Melk MTV-525C6
    Schilke E3l
    Schilke P7-4
    Getzen Flugel. 896

Pianissimo User
    Colorado Springs

Re: Feldenkrais

my wife saw a feldenkreis practitioner before doing a spinal fusion.

From my observation- it is similar to rolfing. I underwent the full 12 rolfing sessions back in the late 1970s and believe it is very helpful.

Both are related to skeletal alignment and muscle alignment.

It is also related to the Alexander method of body alignment when playing music.

One of the major points is allowing the body energy to flow freely.

it may sound a little yogaish but ... i have had arthritis in the back (ankylosing spondylitis) since i was 26. The disease can restrict the rib cage and fuse much of the plevis, spinal column etc. I think my early exposure to body mechanics, rolfing, exercise, breathing etc have allowed me to enjoy playing the trumpet longer that what could have been.

In other words - Feldenkreis belongs to a family of therapies that focus on body mechanics, breathing and proper channeling of energy. Sounds like useful tools for trumpet playing.

Thread Information