Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Female trumpet players in the General forums; I just heard Alison Balsom play the Haydn. Very fine player indeed!!! I have played & listened since 1940, and ...
    Pianissimo User

Female trumpet players

I just heard Alison Balsom play the Haydn. Very fine player indeed!!! I have played & listened since 1940, and I notice far more really competent female players. Is this just a matter of there being more Policewomen as well. I shouldn't think that there is anything physically holding women back such as lung capacity. what say??? esp you teachers??!! Jim Miller

Norfolk, VA

Re: Female trumpet players

You're a little late on this one - listen to Laurie Frink, Leisel Whittaker, Ingrid Jenson, or DIVA, and see if you hear a difference between men and women. Ingrid is one of the artists in residence on the site - maybe you want to ask her. I've been playing for 26 yrs, and have the same abilities and pitfalls as any other player. I weigh about 120lbs, but can easily hold my own with a 250+ male player. It's all about training and efficiency!
    Adams A1, satin gold lacquer, 0.55 (and it's twin in clear lacquer)
    Adams F2, gold brass bell 0.55
    Yamaha 8335LA (Navy horn)
    Adams ACB Prologue
    Conn 112B
    NY Bach Mercury
    50's Calicchio
    Marcienkewicz Rembrandt flugel (for sale! Contact Trent Austin for details)
    Schilke P5-4
    French Besson Classic C
    Yamaha 761 Eb/D
    Weril Regium Eb/D (for sale soon)
    vintage Benge pocket trumpet
    Austin Custom Brass mouthpieces

More news to come!

Forte User

Maybe they practise smarter than men?

Artist in Residence
    Forte User

The musical landscape is filled with excellent female trumpeters. There's really no story here.

[ame=]YouTube - Tine Thing Helseth: Haydn Trumpet Concerto, 3rd mvt[/ame]

Celebrating my post no 400!
    Last edited by nordlandstrompet; 11-04-2008 at 01:38 PM.
    If you can not stand up as a good role model, please sit down!

Chicago Custom X-VR Lead

BrassNor Alexander Custom cornet
    BrassNor Versatile Bb Custom trumpet

I think it has more to do with our culture in general. I think that women (and little girls) just realize more in the past 30 years that they can do what they want in life. Little girls don't have to worry as much about the trumpet not being "ladylike" and immediately relegated to the clarinet section. Women dont feel that pursuing the horn is undoable.....they just don't let their heads get in their way.

While the trumpet is a very physical instrument, the idea that a 120 pound woman is at some sort of disadvantage as a trumpet player is sheer nonsense (but we all knew that, right?) I mean, I played with guys in college who only weighed 120 pounds and some of them played their ass off.

The main requirement for playing the trumpet and for pursuing music in general is a determination (I'd even say a need) to do it. That's' it.

Oh, and a horn =

Sunny Ca.

Ahem. I wish I could drive a golf ball like some of those lady golfers......
    " It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear" Norm Peterson "Cheers"

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up" Lilly Tomlin

Gail Hutchin was a member of the Baltimore Symphony orchestra almost 40 years ago

Banned Mezzo Forte User

"I shouldn't think that there is anything physically holding women back such as lung capacity. what say???"

-Jim Miller

I wouldn't suggest there's anything holding Women back, necessarily. All things considered, i wouldn't suspect it's an issue. Particularly given the thread: range - yet again ( 1 (range - yet again) 2) -that speaks to expectations of Pro. Players.

But there's differences to be sure. To start, the human heart is about the size of the host's fist. -You got a male that's naturally muscular, going 6'4", 6'5" -weighing in at two hundred-fifty pounds and more. And you're talking about one helluva pump. :) My brother's this size, and i can tell you, he's got some serious meat-hooks on'm.

-Not to mention, a greater lung capacity, by way of their height.

There's a reason Secretariat, "Big Red" -ran the way he did. His heart was freakishly large, even for his Monster size of better than 16 hands. It was nearly twice the size of every other animal he raced against. My point is, it will be incredibly interesting to see how Trumpet Music is written when a Human's Heart & Lung augmentation, and/or replacement, allows them to play with far greater pressure and duration.

To be able to play uninterrupted for several minutes at a time, by ex. And eventually, indefinitely - in light of the bio-synthetic parts technology will enable us. It'll be some great fun to play the Trumpet with the same freedom of a guitar, or piano. :)

The heart has four separate compartments or chambers. The upper chamber on each side of the heart, which is called an atrium, receives and collects the blood coming to the heart. The atrium then delivers blood to the powerful lower chamber, called a ventricle, which pumps blood away from the heart through powerful, rhythmic contractions. The human heart is actually two pumps in one. The right side receives oxygen-poor blood from the various regions of the body and delivers it to the lungs. In the lungs, oxygen is absorbed in the blood. The left side of the heartreceives the oxygen-rich blood from the lungs and delivers it to the rest

Total lung capacity (TLC) includes inspiratory reserve volume, tidal volume, expiratory reserve volume, and residual volume.[2] The total lung capacity depends on the person's age, height, weight, sex, and normally ranges between 4,000 and 6,000 cm3 (4 to 6 L). For example, females tend to have a 20–25% lower capacity than males. Tall people tend to have a larger total lung capacity than shorter people. Smokers have a lower capacity than nonsmokers. Lung capacity is also affected by altitude. People who are born and live at sea level will have a smaller lung capacity than people who spend their lives at a high altitude. In addition to the total lung capacity, one also measures the tidal volume, the volume breathed in with an average breath, which is about 500 cm3. For a detailed discussion of the various lung volumes, see the article on lung volumes.[3]

Typical resting adult respiratory rates are 10–20 breaths per minute with 1/3 of the breath time in inhalation. Human lungs are to a certain extent 'overbuilt' and have a tremendous reserve volume as compared to the oxygen exchange requirements when at rest. This is the reason that individuals can smoke for years without having a noticeable decrease in lung function while still or moving slowly; in situations like these only a small portion of the lungs are actually perfused with blood for gas exchange. As oxygen requirements increase due to exercise, a greater volume of the lungs is perfused, allowing the body to reach its CO2/O2 exchange requirements.

Last edited by godchaser; 11-04-2008 at 06:26 PM.

We have a female trumpet player in our orchestra......she is about 5' nothing and a buck o' five. She can play us neanderthals under the table. She probably should be playing first but has never even asked for it, she even counts for us goons during long stretches of rest.

We like her.
    Olds Ambassador(only one left, need more)
    King Silver Flair - main horn
    Selmer Cornet

Amatuers practice till they get it right, Professionals practice till they can't get it wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information