Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Few random questions in the General forums; Originally Posted by Manny Laureano Tmike, At this point in my life my ego's way too big to ever admit ...
    Pianissimo User
    North Coast US

Re: Few random questions

Quote Originally Posted by Manny Laureano View Post

At this point in my life my ego's way too big to ever admit to my music director that I wasn't up for an idea he came up with! How's that for an honest answer?

Seriously, I'd likely go along with whatever he wanted me to do because tough challenges are good for us even if one feels timorous about it.

This raises a point that I've often wondered about - So what would you do if a piece were programed that you simply weren't capable of playing? Perhaps something outrageously off the wall with a ridiculous range (i would think that it would have to be a range issue as I couldn't imagine it being a rhythmic thing). Imagine something comparable to being a high school trumpet player and your director says "Our next concert will be the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra and the Michael Haydn concerto in D." Yikes!!!

DR. Z
    Last edited by Dr. Zink; 02-08-2007 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Fixed a punctuation error

Dr. Zink,
    if a music director did that, he or she would have a reason - like trying to get rid of or get even with the Soloist. They are risking their own reputation with stunts like that though!
    I could envision something being picked that is totally out of context with the players capabilities, however. Very modern music sometimes involves skills that we may not have learned yet. The pro would find a way to get through or negotiate help.
    Last edited by rowuk; 02-12-2007 at 11:14 AM.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Quote Originally Posted by _TrumpeT_ View Post
    Manny, what concerti should an orchestral trumpeter be prepared to perform other than the Haydn and Hummel? Which ones have you performed so far? Does the conductor request for concerti performances from various members on a regular basis? Who gets to decide the concerto that is to be performed?
    The last Boston Symphony audition required the first movement of the Tomasi concerto. I believe the Philadelphia Orchestra Associate Principal audition a few years ago included the Honegger Intrada.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information