Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Trumpet Discussion Discuss FFFF Playing in the General forums; The clown band-The Circle City Sidewalk Stompers- is always looking for good back up players to step in when people ...
    Pianissimo User
    The clown band-The Circle City Sidewalk Stompers- is always looking for good back up players to step in when people leave. You have to memorize all the music and routines and I quit when they went from one rehearsal a mont to every week. I usually made around $2,000 a yr. from that band but there were a lot of last minute jobs that messed up your weekends. It was a lot of fun but I just got to old. old geezer Dave
    L.A.Benge 2ML 16389
    L.A.Benge 2MLP 11745
    K- Allmen 1414
    Yamaha 231 Flugel 15383
    Olds Amb. Cornet 50734

Mezzo Piano User
    This is interesting ... (the pp,ppp,pppp ... ff,fff,ffff, , etc. stuff).

I have never had the occasion to play "salsa" or "merenge" music, but I can relate to the various amplitude issues.

I recently had to play solo (my own compositions, as well as "Amazing Grace") for a friend's memorial service. I did not know the venue, so I brought along three different horns -- a cornet, a trumpet, and a fluegelhorn -- and ended-up using all of them. The venue turned out to be a large church (a modern one, with lots of acoustical-tiled surfaces on the ceiling and walls), with about 250 people attending (lots of human acoustical "sponges"). Arriving late, I did not have an opportunity to do a "sound check" beforehand. I had to follow an electric R&B group, and the guitar player (who was playing through a Marshall "half-stack") smiled ("smirked", actually), as if to say "good luck", as he left the stage.
    I began on the cornet for the initial piece, and perceived that I was barely "cutting it", volume-wise. I followed with my trumpet (piece d'resistance), a real "cannon" -- a vintage Buescher Super 400 (.468-.470 bore). It more than was able to do the job ... as much so, that the guitar player spoke to me afterwards, to say he was "astounded" at the volume level I was attaining ... (not mic'ed, either). Admittedly, I was really "pushing", and had the correct mouthpiece for the situation.

So, the moral of this story is that certain horns have volume capabilities for certain situations. My "chops" are usually up to having to produce great volume, as I sometimes play outdoors ("Taps", etc.) for memorial services for Service Veterans. Endurance-wise, I still doubt if I could hang with those fellows you mentioned in those salsa-bands.

Robert Rowe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information