Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss A "fighting the trumpet" day in the General forums; I'm one for pretty much never "resting". When things aren't working right we simply need practice differently or practice different ...
    Piano User

Re: A "fighting the trumpet" day

I'm one for pretty much never "resting". When things aren't working right we simply need practice differently or practice different things. Practicing does not necessarily imply that chops must meet mouthpiece. Mental practice is a BIG chunk of it.
    Mit Kraft!

Syracuse, NY

All very good thoughts. I'm closing in on the end of the school year, so things are getting hectic and stressful here. On top of that, schedule is an issue, so I am finding myself just trying to squeeze in practice time whenever I can get it. With that squeeze comes pressure to make that practice time really count, and there's the tension.

I think I just need to get out of my head sometimes. Anyway,I had a productive day of yard work (silver lining), and it's back on the horse tomorrow!
    XO Brass 1600i
    Kanstul 1025 Chicago flugelhorn
    1989 King/UMI Silver Flair 2055T
    Holton Collegiate
    I subtracted all of my N+1s!

Pianissimo User RicardoStalwart's Avatar

Im the King of over practicing, and Im a bit ADD/ADHD so I am all of over the place wanting to practice and try out different things during my session. I have been so busy lately that I haven't been practicing 6 days a week like I normally do; I must say after taking rests sometimes I sound much better than usual, its fundamentally changed the way I look at my playing & resting ratio. Also be sure your mouthpiece and horn is clean, and all your slides and valves are oiled/greased, It can impact your sound.

Roy Benson TR-101 Student TRumpet
    Eastern Custom 885DG Model
    The Trumpet is the quintessential paradox of all musical instruments; it has 3 buttons and a relatively simple structure and manages to be the biggest pain to any one who attempts to master it. It would be completely rational to avoid this instrument, but the joy this thing with three valves brings me is beyond ration/explanation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information