Trumpet Discussion Discuss Finger work out in the General forums; Hello everyone Does anyone have a good way to work out your fingers when you do not have the horn ...
    Halifax, NS CANADA

Finger work out

Hello everyone

Does anyone have a good way to work out your fingers when you do not have the horn on you? My fingers do are not quite strong enough to handel large scale works like carnaval, Virgen de la Macarena etc. I figure that with some good finger excercizes I will be able to pull them off.

(Also, are there any good excercizes that I can do with the horn?)

Eric Sproul
    Practice is like filling a leaky bucket

Bb: Paul Mauriat, Yamaha
    Flugel: Hub Van Laar ACK
    Mouthpieces: monette, yamaha

Mezzo Piano User

Try this thing it helps my bro with lightning fast guitar licks.....also I think jsut alot of finger movement....when sitting around watching the telly or something...spreading your fingers apart really wide seperating each finger individually from the others in different order while increasing speed. I have a pair of the Japanesee Balls cant remember the name of them that make a really pretty sound while you manipulate them thru your fingers...not that good at it but it does help. I have this problem where my fingers move faster than my eyes...I have always been told always look a measure or so ahead of where you are at but have trouble doing that......
    Bach Strad 180S37
    Monette B2

Well, if I could play like Wynton (Marsalis), I wouldn't play like Wynton.
    Chet Baker

Tempe, Arizona
    There is a book by Bill Lucas (Detroit Symphony) that has a really interesting series of exercises for overcoming challenging finger combinations on the trumpet. My instructor showed me the book once, but I’m not sure what the title is.

Essentially, you play through these on the valves only (many times) before you play standard Clarke or other exercises on the horn. The exercises vary the accents when you are pushing down the valves and you give a strong “downbeat” to different valve positions each time you play through the pattern.

For instance (in triplets):

3-2-1...3-2-1...3-2-1...3-2-1 many times (accent on 3)
    1-2-3...1-2-3...1-2-3...1-2-3 many times (accent on 1)
    2-1-3...2-1-3...2-1-3...2-1-3 many times (accent on 2)

Another one in sixteenths:

1-2-3-1...2-3-1-2...3-1-2-3 etc. (accent on the down beat)
    Lots of different patterns here

Focused time with these at a slow tempo will make sluggish fingering problems go away quickly.
    Derek Reaban
    Tempe, Arizona

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown
    Pure Torture useful for students who "didn't have time to practice" three weeks running and lose their chops 15 minutes into a half-hour lesson: 2,13,2,13.... followed by 12,3,12,3...
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Mezzo Forte User
    Morelia, Mexico
    I wish my tongue was as fast as my fingers.........

Michael McLaughlin

George Washington, as a boy, was ignorant of the commonest accomplishments of youth. He could not even lie.
    Mark Twain
    Morelia MM

Mezzo Piano User trumpet blower88's Avatar
    Flagstaff, AZ
    My old private teacher suggested I use one of those stress ball things and just sit there and squeeze it for a while every day.

My current private teacher gave me a sheet with a few differant patterns on it to play and see how fast I could play them (kind of like trills with real awkward fingerings)
    Some Examples:
    *2, 13, 2, 13, 2, 13, 2, 13 ect.
    *12, 13, 12, 13, 12, 13, 12, ect.
    heres a real tricky one:
    123, 23, 123, 12, 123, 23, 123, 12, 123, ect
    -David Jacques

Thread Information