Trumpet Discussion Discuss fingering or not above high G in the General forums; Hi, I've been working on my range in my practice and I've noticed that whilst I can play reliably up ...
    Pianissimo User

fingering or not above high G

Hi,

I've been working on my range in my practice and I've noticed that whilst I can play reliably up to G above high C, I can only play the notes above the G in open!!!! I;ve tried loads of different valve combinations and none seem to work. Has anyone else found this?? What's happening?

Mezzo Piano User
    Can you play all the notes between high-C and G open? If so, it's the same thing, just see what gives you the best intonation. For instance, A might be better with 3-only vs. open or 1-2, but you won't know until you try it each way.

Maybe if you play from high-C up to G open and then with fingering, you'll feel the difference and look for the same feel above G, picking the result that gives you and your horn the best centering and resonance. I think the optimal settings vary a good bit from horn to horn, so it can be hard to generalize.

The good thing is that you're "hearing" the notes, otherwise you couldn't play up there.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Quote Originally Posted by dcstep
    The good thing is that you're "hearing" the notes, otherwise you couldn't play up there.
    Dave
    Hah! I can "hear" the notes just fine. I wish that was all it took to play them up there.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Quote Originally Posted by trickg
    Quote Originally Posted by dcstep
    Dave
    Hah! I can "hear" the notes just fine. I wish that was all it took to play them up there.
    Yep. I can hear Maynard play them just fine. Nothing wrong with my ears ... must be something else .... Hmmmm .... I wonder what .....

Jim
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Mezzo Piano User
    Ok, smarties!

You can miss top-space E if you "hear" C or G in your mind before you play it. The overtones are so close together above high-C that it becomes super-critical that you hear the next note in your head before you play it; otherwise, you'll be all over the place.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Pianissimo User
    Here's what I do.... I usually play E above high C with valves 1 and 2. On my horn that note seems to slot better, hence I play it in tune better.

Also if you can play up to G above high C. Try playing the A one step above using valve #2. You would be suprised at how much better the note tends to slot!!
    Hope this helps!

Cory

Pianissimo User
    I hate to sound stupid again but perhaps there is a book that could help

Piano User
    I wish I had the problem of not knowing which fingerings to use above high G. My G's are getting stronger, but I'm no where near an A or above.

Hey all,
    No method or "tried and true" way of fingering above high g. Since the harmonics and overtone series are so close together up there the best fingerings are whatever you wish 'em to be. If you start on high c you can play c major all open up to DHC. The best thing to do is to experiment. Find out which fingerings slot better for you and your horn. Hope this helps. Peace.

Tim "the Bear"

Thread Information