Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Fingers in the General forums; Thanks for the suggestion, Jesse. It was worth mentioning, but if I had to wait for my eyes to "see" ...
    Fortissimo User
    Yee HAW!
    Thanks for the suggestion, Jesse. It was worth mentioning, but if I had to wait for my eyes to "see" the note, my "brain" to figure it out, my "fingers" to get the right position and my chops to actually blow what my brain says it should be hearing.... then I'm lucky to get 80 bpm let alone 120! Remember that my brain has to also be listening to the rest of the band, keeping an eye on the conductor, and ensuring that I'm not racing ahead or lagging behind and making those adjustments as well.... the poor ol' thing ain't cut out for that kind of thinking at my age. :(

(That's why I love band so much... if you aren't concentrating 100%, you aren't playing right... and if you ARE concentrating 100%, then you aren't thinking/worrying about other "stuff").

I agree with the guys who have suggested to just take it slow and steady and make sure it is played RIGHT every time and let the tempo come up on "autopilot". I was just wondering if there are any really GOOD fingering exercises or tips and tricks that I didn't know about that would help.

Manchester / London
    Quote Originally Posted by trickg
    Quote Originally Posted by Tootsall
    ... I've been wondering how to get the horn to "speak clearly" on each note.... you are right.. it comes out more as a blur than anything else.

sigh... back to the 'shed.
    Toots, in reference to getting the notes to "speak" cleanly on a fast slurred passage, I've always found if you push a little more air and your fingers are pounding the valves through the passage, that each note will "pop" a little. A great example of this is on some of Wynton's Classical and Baroque recordings. When he's ripping through some of those passages it almost sounds like he's tonguing everything. This happens much easier on the smaller horns, but you can get it to work on Bb as well. If your chops and air are working efficiently, it will happen.

A good way to practice that is to just play fast chromatic scales, focusing on pounding the valves and pushing the air.

That's what I do anyway.
    Absolutely - Wynton's the man for that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information