Trumpet Discussion Discuss finish comming off older horn in the General forums; alright, so i bought an older bundy for marching from my friend. the horn was his dads when he was ...
    New Friend

Exclamation finish comming off older horn

alright, so i bought an older bundy for marching from my friend. the horn was his dads when he was in high school but he plays piano so he doesnt need it. i bought it to use during marching band. well during band camp the laquar around the valves started comming off and fast by the end there was almost none left so i stoped useing it and used my good horn for the rest of the seson. now his grandpa was the horn back because he was to start playing (im assuming he played a long time ago) and i feel bad cuz i pretty much ruined the horn and i dont know what to do. is there a cheap way to fix this?

Re: finish comming off older horn

You BOUGHT the Bundy. It's yours. You shouldn't have to give it back. But to avoid a broken relationship, the best thing to do is probably this...
    It's obvious the Grandpa was confused. He didn't know about the transaction between you and your friend.
    You and your friend BOTH go up to him and explain the misunderstanding about the ownership of the horn.

Have your friend tell his Grandpa that HE SOLD YOU THE HORN. Then, you tell his Grandpa "I'm really sorry, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to buy that horn. I didn't know you wanted it back. You can have it, if you want it, and I apologize for the laquer. During band camp, it hit some rough weather, but it still plays fine."

Leave it at that.

Since you actually did buy it, it is technically still yours, and you are at no fault, but since you already have a better horn, and you're not using this one, why not avoid ill relations?

Re: finish comming off older horn

There is no quick fix for lacquer that has flaked off. A leather valve guard camouflages it and keeps your hand from turning green.

If your friend sold the horn without permission or knowledge of the grandfather, then it is technically STOLEN. In theory, you have to give the horn back to its rightful owner and in a separate act, try and get your money back. The only way to know for sure is to go with your friend to the grandfather and make sure the truth is told and take whatever comes. If your friend lied, you should not be a part of that!

You have no responsibility for the lacquer coming off. It is an old horn and if moisture/sweat can get under the finish, it flakes off!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information