Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss First Lesson Teaching in the General forums; If it's the first lesson I think it's pretty important to find out what you are working with. Have him ...

Re: First Lesson Teaching

If it's the first lesson I think it's pretty important to find out what you are working with. Have him play his favorite song/lick for you. That way you can find out a little about his playing style right from the get go (tone, breathing, posture etc etc...). See where he is with scales...

Another thing I have done with all my students is to ask them what THEY want to get out of private trumpet lessons. Ask him if there is anything specific he wants to learn from you (different music styles, improving tone, improving range etc...)

I find that getting to know the student and his playing right away is the best way to start lessons. So find out some things first, and then dive into the good stuff!

Good luck, and have fun!
    1914 Holton Revelation Cornet
    1929 Stroud Baby Grand Piano
    1950's Hammond M3 Organ

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Can students sight read music? If not, all the charts one throws at them is waste paper.

IME experience as only an observer, I've seen student after student not even look at a chart and yet in a couple of passes through the song parts they should be playing they've got the hang of it and can play such parts fairly well. Yes, we then know they play by ear. The long term problem arises with their practice outside the classroom and here they are "dead and rotting fish" unable to develop to the optimum the lip and other muscles necessary to achieve accomplishment. Too, if they do not like a song, they'll never perform it well. Not to worry, as rarely will these pursue a college degree in instrumental performance or become those whose CDs we purchase. Such is why I recommend teaching the reading of music as the first function a teacher should present. Should I chastise those elementary teachers who presented the ditties to discern treble clef notes? I would if I could! First, I find it gender biased. Had my Mother not been an accomplished pianist, I don't think I would have known what a sharp or flat was until I encountered my instrumental music teacher who was also the high school band director. By then it was so simple for me, to having once learned the fingering of the instrument I was playing to run chromatic scales. Yes, eventually I was able to play the Grand Marche Chromatique aka Entry of the Gladiators by Julius Fucik as many have heard but few recognize. As a warm-up, I often select an Allegro by Franz Schubert ... all 1/16th notes, as really warms in my instrument and my lips. Now I'll ask how many trumpeters have seen a score with trumpet to play in the bass clef and please note that bass trumpets have been manufactured. I could go on and on but nuff is nuff.

Success in anything in life is a mix of motivational factors and dedication. The teacher has to not only find what the student likes, they also have to instill a sense of responsibility as the limiting factors are those things that the student does NOT like to play.

As we are not all born equal, a bit of luck is required for the match up of teacher and student. There i no formula. The teachers producing successful players are the ones that don't take NO for an answer however.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

The student, despite having played for two years, has been really without guidance... I'd say he's still at the 6th grade level.

Anyhow, I was inspired to see that he was still not given up, but actually motivated to get way better!

I think the biggest obstacle right now is the ability to read notes and put down the right fingerings.

That'll come!

At the end, he told me that was the most fun he's had with music... And he sounded much better by the end! :)

I hope I can take him somewhere.
    Bach Strad. 37
    Early Chicago C Model Monette

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information