Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss First trumpet? in the General forums; What was your first trumpet? Mine was a $75 trumpet I bought at a yard sale :) Its been a ...
    Twin Cities, Minnesota

First trumpet?

What was your first trumpet?

Mine was a $75 trumpet I bought at a yard sale :)

Its been a great horn, too, I still have it, and I've only had to spend $100 total for all the repairs through the years.
    Dan Peterson

1965 Bach Mt. Vernon Bb trumpet
    1965 Bach cornet
    Monette Chicago C trumpet
    Vintage Windsor trumpet

Monette B1-2
    Monette C1-2
    DW cornet mouthpieces

Mezzo Forte User

Re: First trumpet?

I played on a rental Blessing for a year, then a Yamaha intermediate model for the next three or four years.

I sold that Yamaha to a student a couple years ago...I still kind of regret letting it go. I still have the mouthpiece though!

Piano User

My parents bought me a Gaylord, a K&H stencil, in 1954. I'm not sure I ever paid attention to the name - it was always just "the trumpet." The only reason I know the name now is because I came across the carbon copy of the receipt when I was cleaning out my father's desk after he died. They gave the horn to my cousins after I left for college and the cousins destroyed it. But I got my grandfather's Conn Wonder cornet to make up for it.

Forte User
    Brisbane, Australia

Blessing Scholastic purchased at a pawn shop for about $100 by my parents. It was not a terrible horn, the lacquer was in good shape, etc. Until it got stepped on in marching band my senior year, that is! I think my mom still has it.
    Queensland Wind And Brass
    Talking about music is like dancing about architecture. Thelonious Monk

Mezzo Piano User

Olds Ambassador, still have it too. While it was the 1st trumpet I learned to play, the 1st one I owned was a Yamaha. My buddy loaned me the Olds, and he finally sold it to me years later. I guess thats why I like to loan some of my equipment to newbies. It all started with my friends generosity.
    Last edited by Toobz; 02-15-2008 at 11:11 AM. Reason: More info

Administrator Fortissimo User MJ's Avatar

A Besson cornet and Holton trumpet

Norfolk, VA

A really crappy, leaky King Clevland Superior cornet my mom got for $100 - more than it was worth! Thankfully I got to upgrade to a 1960's Benge about a year later. The funny thing about that cornet, though - an old boyfriend had ended up with it years ago, and I thought I'd never see it again. A couple of months ago he dropped it off at my Nana's house! I'll pick it up the next time I visit.
    Adams A1, satin gold lacquer, 0.55 (and it's twin in clear lacquer)
    Adams F2, gold brass bell 0.55
    Yamaha 8335LA (Navy horn)
    Adams ACB Prologue
    Conn 112B
    NY Bach Mercury
    50's Calicchio
    Marcienkewicz Rembrandt flugel (for sale! Contact Trent Austin for details)
    Schilke P5-4
    French Besson Classic C
    Yamaha 761 Eb/D
    Weril Regium Eb/D (for sale soon)
    vintage Benge pocket trumpet
    Austin Custom Brass mouthpieces

More news to come!

I'm still on my Strad that I got way back in 6th grade when I started. My parents knew I was commited enough to the trumpet to get me one. :)

Kalamazoo, Michigan

My dad was a long time pro reed player (Selmer Paris) in Lansing, Mi, had a combo. He bought me a Martin Committee Cornet in '55 when I started, and then a Selmer K-modified trumpet when I went to college in '60. Must have been a sacrifice at that time, but he wanted my brother and I to have good music opportunities. Wish I still had those horns!
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

My first horn was a 1928 Buescher Bb/A cornet that my mother played in school and had belonged to my granddad. It looked like crap, all tarnished and a big sloppy soldering job on the leadpipe, the original mouthpiece lost and replaced with an oddball trumpet mouthpiece. The beginning band director tried to steer me toward flute, but I held out for trumpet because of that old horn. Later that year my parents bought me a Sears Silvertone that was new and shiny, so the cornet was put aside and forgotten. I didn't realize what a stuffy piece of junk that Silvertone was until my parents bought me a Strad in Jr. High. That's me with the Silvertone in 1971 in my avatar.

Recently I got out that Buescher and polished it up and got a cornet mouthpiece for it and discovered what a nice player it it. It is now off being restored and I can't wait to get it back!
    1974 Bach ML 37 Strad Trumpet
    1928 Buescher Bb/A Cornet
    1947 Conn 12A Coprion Cornet
    1912 Holton New Proportion "Couturier Model"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information