Trumpet Discussion Discuss Fixing your embouchure, strong and powerful in the General forums; Yea, thats right. I have been back playing the horn for four months. I now have the answer to a ...
    Pianissimo User

Fixing your embouchure, strong and powerful

Yea, thats right. I have been back playing the horn for four months. I now have the answer to a powerful embouchure. Well anyhow I could about knock you over with my A, C and D just above the staff. I could gliss up and pow. My E and F were coming as well. I was playing two hrs per day, and just pushed on up an additional 30-40 min more. Just got a job in an R&B band, they love my sound. So here it comes. I had replied and given advice on a thread (stop or keep playing when your tired). I said just listen to your body, it will tell you when you've had enough. I had the answer, and I was right. Now I'm looking in the rearview mirror at my lip and ask my daughter. Is my lip swelled? No, she says as I tick the guardrail with the side of our old Toyota. Man I better watch whats goin on. My body is sayin slow down but man I can't hear it. Practice that night goes pretty good. Next day I feel tired but I push thru it. You know, my body is saying slow down but my brain and ego says work, and I do. 3 hrs of it. Next day I take it easy, long tones, scales, Etudes. I lost a step off of my range, my body is screamin, enough. Why don't I listen. I lost a step, I must not be working enough and push on. My next practice with the band goes well. Next day my embouchure feels tired and I am leaking air at the corners. My lips are swelled! I ice and search the internet for clues. What have I done. It's obvious. Injury. This all occured over perhaps 3 wks. I'm a smart guy, why didn't I recognize what was happening. Desire to improve. Ego. I'm not sure. I don't think my injury is severe and I hope I recover quickly. But in my search for answers, I found those whose injurys were severe. Torn muscles, careers put on hold. What is it that makes us push on when we should be taking care of ourselves. Pay attention, we all have an off day. But a steady fall, or an up and down decline is just that. The goal is to improve and build. Better to slack or ease off a bit when needed than to do injury. Why don't we listen.

Re: Fixing your embouchure, strong and powerful

Quote Originally Posted by Miyot View Post
    ...... Why don't we listen.
    Easy, when things are going well we are indestructible................
    The human experience demands that we suffer to learn. Babies learn to walk by falling down until enough "balance" is learned to get a positive experience.
    Teens in puberty do not realize that their idea of "freedom" is in actuality just the reduction of their parents freedoms. A painful experience for both sides. Traffic tickets are generally not painful enough to induce a cooperative behaviour!
    Miyot, if this experience is painful enough (seems so), you will never forget it and reap the benefits for the rest of your life. Do not forget to restart slowly and develop a routine not based on 3% GNP (Glutton Needs Punishment).
    Last edited by rowuk; 09-04-2007 at 03:38 PM.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Banned Mezzo Forte User

-I'd offer as well, Miyot- don't be too hard on yourself there. As you suggested, it's a constant negotiation to interpret and extend our day to day threshold.

I liken your example to the weight-training injuries i've had. They're often but typically minor. The worst thing about serious injury, is the loss of that sense of 'invincibility' that's replaced by trepidation after recovery. -But eventually forgotten, for that just right mix of progressive pace that the minor tweaks and strain outline from time to time.

Keep playing stubborn-smart yea.

Pianissimo User

Hey, thanks for the comeback. I backed off, did some long tones, worried some. Went to our band practice and told the guys I was going to take it easy. Practice actually went pretty well. I could definitly feel that I was injured a little. I made sure to use as little pressure as possible. I warmed up well and did a little cool down as well. Things are going well and I feel nearly back to normal after 4 days. I think just a bruise. I'm more aware now. Thanks.

Thread Information