Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Flexibility books? in the General forums; Originally Posted by Spleeyah! I just transferred to a new school this past Spring semester and my new teacher puts ...
    Woodland, AL

Re: Flexibility books?

Quote Originally Posted by Spleeyah!
    I just transferred to a new school this past Spring semester and my new teacher puts emphasis on and encourages lip slurs. Now, this was a bit different for me b/c my old 'teacher' didn't talk about lip slurs AT ALL. But after really digging into this stuff and seeing the huge improvments in my playing i'm interested in buying even MORE books to add.

The books i usually use for flexibilites are Vizzutti, Stamp and Bia Lin. But i KNOW there's gotta be more out there, any suggestions/recommendations on other books to purchase?

Thanks, everyone!

I use to not do any lip slurs or flexibilites exceries. Then my teacher recomeded
    some lip slur exceries. My playing improved a lot. Particurly in the range deparment. Once you get to the advance stage's of flexibilite I recomend patrick hession's book "For the sake of lead trumpet playing - Hessions Sessions Guide to consistent, reliable and sometimes, Invincible Chops!" This has some good lip slur exceries in it. Here a link to buy it.
    I would not try this book untill your chop's are develed enough to hand it.
    There is alway's good advice on TM, use it!
    "I'm not a fighting man, but I really wasted that cat."- Maynard ferguson

Pianissimo User
    Los Angeles, CA

New Friend

Flexibility Books

I also agree with RG111 on the use of the Irons 27 Groups of Exercises as well as the Colin Lip Flexibilities (3 volumes - complete) book. Volume 2 of this book is the best organized of the three volumes. Charles Colin, now run by his son Allan, also publishes two other books which contain very good flexibility exercises. One is called 100 Original Warm Ups. The second is called Elasticity and Endurance.

Good luck!

Piano User
    I personally really like Bai Lin. Is there a reason you're looking for more? If so, what don't you like about the other books? If you have something that you specifically don't like or something you'd rather have then we could probably give you a better answer.

Pianissimo User
    Manchester UK
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpetmike
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLT
    "How brass players do it" by Ridgeon. I assume he meant play trumpet.
    This is the book I use with all my students - the title does sometimes bring a smile to the faces of the parents (and sometimes it has caused a few comments )
    btw this is the only trumpet technique book I know of to feature pictures of a semi-naked woman within the first few pages. Truly a masterpiece.
    "I was minding my own business when something says to me, "you ought to blow trumpet." I have just been trying ever since." - Miles Davis

Eclipse LR/Warburton 3MD
    Olds Custom/Warburton 3M
    Eclipse Red Flugel/Bach 1 1/2C
    B&H "78" cornet/ DW2B

Saint Paul, MN
    i have smith, irons, colin and bai lin. i like bai lin the best. i find the smith gets too high too fast. and to me it seems like irons and colin spend so much time sluring around the hi bb with the fingering that we woudl almost never use.

i find for me doing these much above the hi e is counterproductive.
    Per aspera ad astra

Last edited by londonhusker; 03-31-2007 at 07:35 PM.

Pianissimo User
    wow! I've been checking this thread and writing down the books you guys are recommending and the list KEEPS GROWING! HAHA. this is great, keep'em coming!

"Take care of your fundamentals and your fundamentals will take care of you"

"Don't practice for 'something', practice 'everything' and you'll be ready for ANYTHING"

Bb-Bach Strad 43
    C- Bach Strad 229 25H
    Picc - Schilke P54 Gold Plated

Piano User
    Swift Current, Sask. Canada
    Hi All,

The Matt Graves book is worthy of consideration and the old Mitchell method books have some extremely challenging material.

"Swift Current - where we're neither swift nor current"

Last edited by londonhusker; 03-31-2007 at 07:36 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information