Results 1 to 5 of 5
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Fluttering in the General forums; I'm not sure what it's called, but I think that it's called fluttering. It's when you put your toungue in ...
  1. #1
    Pianissimo User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009


    I'm not sure what it's called, but I think that it's called fluttering. It's when you put your toungue in the middle of your mouth and make it vibrate using your air, making a flutter effect in your sound. I've tried it, but it just doesn't work. Can anyone with experience give me tips, specifics, details, and tricks on how to do it?

  2. #2
    Fortissimo User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA

    Re: Fluttering

    It is called flutter tonguing. There are other threads here that discuss it in detail. But, from what I understand, it may be a genetic thing like rolling your tongue. Some can do it and some can't. I never had to practice it - it just came naturally so I am not a good source for telling you the specific things to do. I can also roll my 'R's when speaking Spanish which seems to be a related skill. Others may have additional tips but in the meantime do a search and see what else is here.

    Good luck on this.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

  3. #3
    Piano User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Godley, Texas

    Re: Fluttering

    Check out this on youtube
    [ame= ext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=8]YouTube - Trumpet Mutes: Plunger 2[/ame]

  4. #4
    Mezzo Piano User Bach219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Re: Fluttering

    Yes that is called flutter tonguing.

    Well I believe if you know how to roll your R's then you pretty much got the idea.

    If you don't, then put the tip of your tongue to where it almost touches the roof of your mouth. Then with some air you got it.

    If still no success, then use more air.

    If still no success, then......well I'm out of ideas!

  5. #5
    Forte User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Indianapolis, In

    Re: Fluttering

    Bach 219 is telling you the best advice on how. The only thing that I can add is to relax when you do it. If you are stiff it will not happen.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Fluttering tone
    By Blind Bruce in forum Trumpet Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 01:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26