View Poll Results: Experienced Focal Dystonia

6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 16.67%
  • No

5 83.33%
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Focal Dystonia in the General forums; Anyone here ever had FD? Here is a blog at
    Mezzo Forte User

Focal Dystonia

Anyone here ever had FD? Here is a blog at
    Getzen 907S Eterna Proteus

"It's amazing what we can accomplish if we don't consciously get in the way" Adolph "Bud" Herseth

"Some days there won't be a song in your heart. Sing anyway." Emory Austin

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Re: Focal Dystonia

If someone would watch me blade shave in the morning, I'm sure you'd say the faces I make in the mirror are weird, albeit my daughter used to think I was funny faced as made my day mentally. Still, physiologically with muscle controlled movements and finger massage as I shave, I don't believe I've missed any embouchure "exercise" that Katie suggested, except she omitted the scream gasp. OK, so I'm also now an avid user of P.E.T.E. and I am perceptive of the isometric resistance technique for muscle development and maintenance. No mention of such by Katie.

Pianissimo User

Yes, I had focal dystonia for several years. I was told it was incurable. However, after much study, experimenting and retraining, I solved my own FD and play better and more freely now than before the dystonia struck - FD is a condition which can be resolved! I've recently started a website with more information on musicians focal dystonia. I hope the information there is useful for you.

The link to the site is:

Vienna, Austria, Europe

A friend of mine suffered badly from FD - had to give up trumpet playing (he was a fully fledged professional with the Hugo Strasser Band, one of Europe's most prestigious dance bands), lost his job accordingly and was reduced to being a travelling salesmand for shoddy rip-off companies... last time I heard of him, he was selling copper wire mattresses "protecting against alien terra rays" to gullible pensioners... so, take it seriously and avoid it!

Thread Information