Trumpet Discussion Discuss french horn teaching in the General forums; Hi, I'm thinking of applying for trumpet teaching jobs in schools whilst I'm studying trumpet at university, however many schools ...
    New Friend

french horn teaching

I'm thinking of applying for trumpet teaching jobs in schools whilst I'm studying trumpet at university, however many schools also want french horn or other brass instruments taught. Any suggestions as to how to teach another brass instrument that's not your first? (especially considering I'm only a beginner on frech horn)

Re: french horn teaching

Before destroying somebody elses potential future, I would get some first hand, professional lessons instead of internet conjecture. Assuming you are a decent trumpet player, you must realize how easy it is to mess somebodies face up.

Playing horn is a different sound and embouchure concept than trumpet. You also need to be emotionally pretty stable to take the beating that a beginning horn player almost always has to go through!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

I wouldn't recommend teaching ANYTHING that you are less than proficient at yourself.

Greensboro, NC

I agree with the post so far. In music you can't teach what you can't do. I know that middle and high school band directors are suppose to teach all the wind instruments how to start. this is born of ignorance on the administations part, but it is the reality of the job. remember one semester of woodwind class is nor enough. the teachers I know who are succesful really learn how to play the other insruments. Also you should find local players to come in and demonstrate the instruments, maybe undergrands at the local college. remember, succesful way to teach music is to have then watch and listen to how it's done. kids learn by watching and listening not by explanation. they also learn a lot faster. play recordings in class. I'm doing some clinics in the local schools and play a CD of the Marine band playing a sousa march for a middle school band. you could hear a pin drop. they loved it. If you do get a job I would suggest play a CD once a week for your class. They need to learn how music sounds.

Bob G

The Wide Brown Land

The US Air Force - Airmen of Note have a lot of readily available recorded music on-line and if you chose carefully you can demonstrate the progression of a piece through different Band Leaders and different instrument balance over the last 4 decades, you can show the interaction of vocalists as well, if you choose.

"The Oyster is Your World" - oh no, this is the Trumpeter's Website isn't it? Sorry.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Thread Information