Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss frustrated in the General forums; Originally Posted by RobertSlotte the high payed trumpet teachers in Finland says: You need a Bach Stradivarius AND you CAN ...
    Bordeaux, France.

Re: frustrated

Quote Originally Posted by RobertSlotte View Post

the high payed trumpet teachers in Finland says: You need a Bach Stradivarius AND you CAN NOT play anything smaller than a bach 1 1/2C mouthpiece, you must point the trumpet down and blow downstream! and it is ALL ABOUT air, if you are weak, you do not blow the air amount needed!!!

Are you sure you live in Finland ? Reading this I thought you were in France !
    Mikel Dupac / Lawler C7-3R-1A + Prana B6S1R
    Olds Super Bb 1962 / Carol Brass Dizzy pocket
    Conn New Wonder cornet 1917 / Many others...
    Music is the healing force of the Universe! A. Ayler

greensboro nc

I played a Bach back when I was getting My degree in the 1980, certainly the best horn I ever had,wish I never sold it. The 1 1/2 philosophy was the same back then. Everyone was told to play Bachs', While My b-flat was great, the Bach c was a dog out of the case, I had some custom work done on it, I still cound't play the thing. I went Yamaha "C", the horn was a dream, The same went for the 1 1/2c, I wasn't suited for it I went Tottle 2b. I went on to be principal in the orchestra and My solo work was just great with what I was using. I don't understand the Bach brain washing, not the only horn that can be played in an orchestra. The 1 1/2 c is the same philosophy that has gone on for years and not everyone can play 1 . I believe one's over bite dictates where the horn is going to point. My teacher was old school, he rolled his eyes a few times at the things I had chose to play on, but he was also smart enough to see the results I had gotten from those choices. Bottom line is no 2 people sound or play the same, and where is it written they have to do all things the same.

Forte User

what you wrote sounds exactly like what I was hearing from other players in the Indy area back in the mid-80s. Bach Strad 37ML with a Bach 1 1/2C or larger if you wanted to be a good player.
    formerly known as old geezer Dave
    Chicago Benge 33XX
    Blessing 1580 [ Powell modified ]
    Getzen 800s ml Cornet P02819
    Yam. 231 Fl. 15383
    King Master Cornet 295628
    assorted other horns

Levittown , NY

I've also seen this kind of thinking here in the USA. It's wrong information being handed down from generation to generation. Even here on TM at least half believe a bigger mp is better for everyone. I'm all ways reading posts about ""up grading" once you reach a certain age or are playing for a certain amount of years.
    This is why I don't think getting a teacher is always the answer, but getting the right teacher is.Research,ask around,don't settle.

Finding a great teacher is the BEST score of all. Nothing can compare to it .... Not even a perfect Bach Stad from a yard sale for $50. Okay, if it was a Yamaha ....

Just kidding! Just kidding!!!! "Settle you lot!" (to quote Ted1951).

Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

I certainly wouldn't not pay any teacher that told me such and I'd be out the door double time. Geez, blame it on the school administration for hiring such an "oaf".

Had a teacher (in another subject) that refused to teach me ... because I knew more about the subject than he. I needed that subject on record for the degree I sought. Essentially I just passed my time in the class, at times tutoring others, and got my qualification. That man was an excellent teacher and now enjoys retirement in Italy.
    Exchange of Christmas cards is our only communication.

Greensboro, NC

Back in the late 50s and early 60s the misinformed thought the Bach 10 1/2 C was the mpc to play. Why! Because that'a what Rafael Mendez played. Then it was Bach 1 1/2C, 11/4C and 1C. Why! Hersuth played a Bach 1. Everyone is looking for the magic bullet. During the 70s the Selmer co. did a marketing blitz with the Bach name. It became a household world. Your situation is sad bordering on tragic. but I can tell you that Finland isn't the only place this happens. Fortunately I came along before the Bach, large mpc craze took over.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information