Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss frustrating fact in the General forums; You all know that I have this facial paralysis thing and that I can not play tpt anymore. It may ...
    Piano User

frustrating fact

You all know that I have this facial paralysis thing and that I can not play tpt anymore. It may go away it may not. Thing is that ever since I got it I play guitar to keep myself occupied with something.

Frustrating thing is that after only 2 weeks into guitar. My wife, and generally a people around me does not moan about it, but they want me to play more.

With tpt it was different, I was always annoying people around me, and I had to seek various garages and basements to practice.

While guitar I can practice all day long in my livingroom, and my wife asks for more!

Thats really frustrating for trumpet players -isnt it?!
    kingtrumpet likes this.

Piano User

Re: frustrating fact

And the best of all, I can still be "chet fan"!. only this time its chet atkins instead of baker!

New Friend
    Catskill Mountains NY

Do not give up.
    Freddie Hubbard didn't give up.

Persistance makes a fool of genius.
    If I would have heard Jimi Hendrix or Stanley Clarke for that matter while I was trying to play guitar I would have put it DOWN. I don't play guitar.
    Set it down if you must, take it up later. Perhaps what you have learned in one is great for another skill
    Be encouraged bro Quincy Jones played trumpet too!!

Forte User
    Near Portland, OR.

Guitar makes good background music, it does not impose itself like trumpet does, both because of the sound and volume, so it is a lot easier on the captive audience. On the other hand, perhaps you are just better at guitar. As for facial paralysis problem, you can't overcome it unless you keep trying. I don't know if it's Bell's Palsy, but if it is, it could take months or even a couple of years to regain function. MDs correct me if I'm wrong but regular practice could likely shorten the recovery time.

Selmer Radial, Bb.
    Yamaha YTR4420E, C.
    1930 Couesnon cornet

A mind that masters the breath
    Creates strength (Lao-Tzu).

Forte User
    Tuscaloosa, AL.

I play both trumpet and guitar And my wife says, "stop playing that guitar!" She prefers trumpet. It is weird. What's good for one may not be good for another.
    kingtrumpet and coolerdave like this.

If I were you, and you knew for almost certain that playing trumpet is history, I'd go full steam ahead playing guitar. It's a new chapter in your life. And let's face it, guitar in ALL its facets offers way more than trumpet, musically. You might be pleasantly surprised at how limited your creativity was playing trumpet. (And before anyone flames me, I love trumpet, when I get my Soylent Green musical death treatment I want it to be Maynard playing, etc. I also like being honest. Can't play chords on a Tpt, can't even play two voices, etc. at least not without gimmicks. And consider the difference between classical guitar, flamenco, and say rock. There's just no equivalent range of expression on woodwinds and brass.)
    Vulgano Brother likes this.
    bah do dweeeee bah do bleep blop

Hillsborough, NJ

You can't knock down the walls of Jericho with a guitar, nor can you do taps, or the Kentucky derby call, just saying....
    coolerdave likes this.
    BigDub comments welcome!
    my avatar is my painting PM for more info
    Gmonady's editor in chief

Bordeaux, France.

Django Reinhardt, probably the most creative guitar player ever, had only two valid fingers on his left hand (plus the thumb, of course)… TWO, not three, two. Just to say that music can be stronger than any physical problems… Music is the healing force of the Universe, with a trumpet, a guitar, or your mere human voice !
    Last edited by Dupac; 10-09-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    Vulgano Brother and robrtx like this.
    Mikel Dupac / Lawler C7-3R-1A + Prana B6S1R
    Olds Super Bb 1962 / Carol Brass Dizzy pocket
    Conn New Wonder cornet 1917 / Many others...
    Music is the healing force of the Universe! A. Ayler

Woodlawn, VA

I had Bell's Palsy a few years ago so bad that I couldn't drinkl through a straw. It was almost a year before I could make the trumpet speak again. I am almost back where I was before the incident strength-wise.I still get vestiges of the palsy from time to time (when I am fatigued) but for the most part i am the only one who can tell it now. If Bell's Palsy is your situation, take heart and have patience. Good luck with your new endeavor, even if you come back to trumpet in the future when you are able. In the end, it is still music.
    Ed Fitzgerald
    1954 Olds Super w/Bach 43 uptilt bell Frankenhorn
    1968 Olds Recording Trumpet
    1965 Bach Stradivarius Model 37
    Yamaha Xeno Chicago Artist C Trumpet
    1956 Conn 80A Cornet
    1951 Olds Special Cornet
    1965 Olds L-12 Flugelhorn

"Hindsight is always 20-20"

"I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

San Pedro

I would consider it like a spy going under cover. Everyone thinks you are a guitar player .... every once in awhile look over at the trumpet and go pppsstttt "we've got them right where we want them"

oh and my wife just chimed in, she said when I practice trumpet it's alot of Arban's and exercises and not very interesting but when I break out the guitar it's more songs so she can listen and enjoy instead of tuning me out.
    Vulgano Brother likes this.
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information